OT - The harassing calls

I know someone who's getting harassing calls and emails. The angry, mentally unstable harasser says "I'll call the police and have you arrested". Even though, there's no crime committed (by the victim). The calls are getting a bit tiring.

I'm thinking there's got to be some way to divert this unstable person's attention. Give him something more interesting to do. Judo move, back away and let the attacker hurt himself.

With the collective wisdom of this group, there has to be some creative answer. I thought of sending the angry harasser an email from a disposable account (Hotmail?) and provoke the person. Tempt him to make some angry phone calls (to the number in the signature box?). Number of what? Flower shop? Fire department? Gay bar?

Need some ideas, folks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

FBI office in a neighboring state. Homeland Security tip line. U-Verse support.

Reply to
Larry Fishel
*57 will log even caller ID blocked calls for the phone company to proscuete.

Most modern phones have the ability to block incoming calls by number or all those lacking caller ID info.

why is the caller upset?

Reply to
bob haller

The caller could be dangerous, so doing anything "in return" is stupid. I'd start with the phone co. to block the calls. Police should be informed.

Reply to
Norminn

I agree with the others about police involvement. If the victim has nothing to hide, let the police handle it.

On a side note, when the harasser calls again, keep a nice loud airhorn next to the phone and put it to the mouthpiece when he calls. His ears will be ringing for a long time after that.

Reply to
Justin Time

No one really knows. The caller has aparently done this to others, also.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds reasonable, actually. Thanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a wise and thoughtful idea. Thank you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've put on call block a few times. With Verizon, here, it costs an extra $5 per month and you can block up to 10 numbers. Had to do it to an annoying neighbor last summer but she was not threatening. Removed it in the fall and she has not called since. Guess she found others to annoy.

Reply to
Frank

-snip-

My $50[?]-for-4-handsets phones can block numbers. [10?-20?]

It works nicely for the idiotic sales-droids who don't notice that I'm on all the do-not-call lists. By the time I'm up to the limit they've probably already gotten a new number.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Don't even try to block these. They just flaunt the law and do everything to get through. I've got 2 land lines but use one for business and it goes to fax machine after 4 rings. I get more junk faxes than real ones but some clients insist I still use a fax machine.

Also had problem with father suffering dementia in nursing home as numbers would rotate and I just had to keep blocking a new one. Hated to block my own father but he would call at all hours of the night as he did not understand it that he might be calling at 2 am.

Reply to
Frank

Hmmm. Didn't know about that option. I'll suggest that.

I did chat with a deputy Sherrif. Says that in NYS the harassment needs to include threats of violence or harm, in order to qualify for police action. Just being irritating isn't enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd also save a good number of the harrasing messages. With caller ID, I assume the person is not receiving them directly, but instead they are left on an answering machine. Get a good number that show the scope of the messages and then take them to the police.

The person could also file for a restraining order. Then the harraser would either have to show up in court to defend themselves or they would most likely get one by default. At that point if there is proof of any further contact the police can just arrest them immediately

Reply to
trader4

I was assuming this was the case, which is why I didn't suggest calling the Fuzz, but it was wise to give it a shot anyway...

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Simple contact is enough to qualify for police action if you get a restraining order. With evidence of email and phone call harrassment I would think getting a restraining order would not be difficult. Very likely the loon would not even show up to defend against the action.

Reply to
trader4

I sure don't know about your jurisdiction, but they have sure quit just handing out VPO's here. They require evidence in writing, recordings, photos, and/or multiple verifiable eye witnesses before they will even consider court action. The pendulum has apparently swung away from just handing them out on an individual's statement.

Reply to
DanG

Never suggested that courts just hand out restraining orders anywhere. I suggested the person make sure to save the relevant harrassing emails and phone calls to present as evidence to the police or to get a restraining order.

Also, this apparently is not a case of a husband/wife, boyfriend girlfriend, or similar, where there may be complex issues involved. From what has been presented, it's a case of some unstable person harrassing someone with whom they have no reason to be in contact. I think in most jurisdictions if you presented phone and email messages demonstrating the harrassment, the restraining order would be issued. The harrasser likely would not even show up to dispute it.

Reply to
trader4

Is the harasser known to the victim?

If so, a visit to his home by you and a half-dozen of your friends may educate him as to socially-acceptable behavior.

Reply to
HeyBub

Larry Fishel wrote the following:

From The NYS Penal Law.

SEC. 240.30 Aggravated harassment in the second degree.

A person is guilty of aggravated harassment in the second degree when, with intent to harass, annoy, threaten or alarm another person, he or she: 1. Communicates, or causes a communication to be initiated by mechanical or electronic means or otherwise, with a person, anonymously or otherwise, by telephone, or by telegraph, mail or any other form of written communication, in a manner likely to cause annoyance or alarm; or 2. Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no purpose of legitimate communication; or 3. Strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise subjects another person to physical contact, or attempts or threatens to do the same because of the race, color, religion or national origin of such person; or 4. Commits the crime of harassment in the first degree and has previously been convicted of the crime of harassment in the first degree as defined by section 240.25 of this article within the preceding ten years. Aggravated harassment in the second degree is a class A misdemeanor.

Reply to
willshak

That's a very generous defintion. You think I could get Obama arrested based on that? Section 1 would seem to apply..... He regularly communicates via electronic means and he sure annoys me.....

Reply to
trader4