OT So many?

So, stop paying attention to Fox, and actually do some research. You must have a local public library that will have copies of all the Census forms for the last 100 years. Or you can find them on-line.

The question was last on the census in 1950 and had been removed by the 1960 census.

The long form has always had a question for birthplace, perhaps that's what your "news" program was referring to.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

See, nobody is sucking the blood out of anyone. You've never enumerated _any_ of the soi disant "harms" that you claim that "illegal aliens" are causing.

Let's see facts and numbers rather than empty rhetoric.

You keep saying this, but that doesn't make it true.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

It has nothing to do with the nature of their crime. They should not be counted to determine our govt because they are not citizens, without regard to any crimes.

I agree with that.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd put 99.9999% odds that Fox never said that the census question was removed by Obama. Much of what trumpets think they hear was never said.

Reply to
trader_4

That's a lie and are you really that stupid? Congress just had to approve an emergency $4.6 Bil for the flood of illegals at the border. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Look at the numbers of illegal aliens in our prisons. What does it cost a year to house each of them? 75K?

Just take your head out of the KoolAid trough, open your eyes and act like an American.

It's obviously true. If you set up sanctuary cities, sanctuary states, call for ICE to be abolished, reject detention, and say ICE should not be going to where illegal aliens live that have deportation orders from the courts to deport them, WTF is that, if not open borders? We have 11 mil+, probably two or three times that, here illegally and we have no idea who they are. And you Democrats want more of it!

Reply to
trader_4

Show us in the Constitution where a president had to explain himself to the SC, where they get to

Tell us the compelling reason for counting toilets, Micky. And that's the problem today. You Democrats have turned into nothing but a bunch of whiners who now object to ANYTHING and EVERYTHING that Trump does. Keep it up, you're on your way to giving him a second term. A few more posts here from you and the rest and the stupid, ultra lib loons you have running and I might vote for him this time myself.

Show us where in the Constitution it says that the SC gets to review what a president does and that it has to be a "fairly good reason". As usual, you're lost in the wilderness.

Reply to
trader_4

Apparently.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Not the Constitution, but the Administrative Procedure Act, which regulates the activities of the Commerce Department, which administers the census.

If Trump hadn't waffled and changed his story, this probably wouldn't even been an issue.

Cindy Hamilton

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Perhaps that's the purpose of "Checks and Balances", to prevent a President from acting as a dictator?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'm glad to see you're doing well today.  You had me worried for a while.

Reply to
devnull

You shouldn't say these things unless you actually want people to do it. This is from the 2000 census. #13 Is this person a CITIZEN of the United States? _Yes, born in the United States? Skip to 15a _Yes, born in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands,or Northern Marianas _Yes, born abroad of American parent or parents _Yes, a U.S. citizen by naturalization _No, not a citizen of the United States

So evidently Bill Clinton did not consider this question was a burden or racist or whatever.

Maybe you should stop watching MSNBC

Reply to
gfretwell

It was actually eliminated when Obama's census bureau removed the entire long form. There was no long form in 2010 so it is correct that Obama DID remove the citizenship question along with about 34 more for those who would have received a long form. .

From the web site

"For the 2010 census, the long- and short-form questionnaires used from 1940 to 2000 were replaced by a single questionnaire asking 10 questions. The questions asked by the long-form questionnaire are now asked by the annual American Community Survey."

It always amazes me how long you people argue about shit that it took me about 30 seconds to find.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you know there are laws in addition to the Constitution?

I guess you are from the Trump school of obedience to the law, which is, "I don't care what the law says. Obedience to law is for people who aren't rich like me."

This aspect of the discussion began at

8:48 ET on the 7th, when you claimed that the USSC had overstepped its authority. You claimed "It's a clear over step again of the courts into the powers of the executive branch. "

In my post which you were replying to, I had talked only about whether the census would be conducted online or not and how many pages needed to printed, nothing about legalities.

So it's you who made the claim and it's up to you to prove it. Cite for us the law that says the executive can add any question he wants to the census form.

It's you who made the claim and it's up to you to prove it. Cite for us the law that says the executive can add any question he wants to the census form.

It's you who made the claim and it's up to you to prove it. Cite for us the law that says the executive can add any question he wants to the census form.

It's you who made the claim and it's up to you to prove it. Cite for us the law that says the executive can add any question he wants to the census form.

Reply to
micky

Yes, I agree. If they had just said illegal aliens are a serious national issue and it's in the national interest to find out how many are here, that could have been the end of it. But the Trump administration is not known for competence.

Reply to
trader_4

Since the census is conducted by the department of Commerce and the Sec Comm serves at the pleasure of the president (It is an executive branch department), there is certainly an argument to be made that the president can have input to the form. Did Obama have the question removed? (as in, was that the reason they abandoned the long form in 2010?)

Reply to
gfretwell

Yeah, unelected judges get to act like dictators instead.

Reply to
rbowman

That doesn't mean he can do anthing he wants.

Everyone but you knows the president's powers are limited and the right to write questions is delegated to him by statute.

You made the claim. Cite the statue where it says what the rules are for writing the questions on the Census. Do you fantasize there are no rules?

Cindy was gracious enough to point you to the "Administrative Procedure Act, which regulates the activities of the Commerce Department, which administers the census." YOu might want to look there. Maybe it says, The President can include any question he wants. But more likely you're just making up your position from thin air.

Reply to
micky

No aliens don't get a vote. They get counted and included in the count.

You're usually right but I don't think they have to *abandon* their tribal allegiance, at least not completely. But I don't have time to look it up and I want to reply to GF.

Reply to
micky

I imagine these things will end up being decided by an administrative committee at the Bureau of the Census and they report to the Commerce Secretary who serves at the pleasure of the president. He can certainly give them "guidance" on what should be on the form. The chain of command here is quite clear. The real issue is he started too late. If he had made it known internally at commerce in 2018 that this was he wanted to do, he could have made the suggestion is such a way that it was just done, or the Sec Com would be done. (Having plenty of time to come up with another reason to push him out) It just proves that Trump still doesn't really understand how things are done in DC,. Nothing "administrative" like this happens fast, it is usually done quietly and people have to bitch about it after the fact.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm not challenging that.

I doubt that was the reason. I didn't even know they abandoned it until a day or two ago. I never filled it out.

Reply to
micky