OT So many?

OT Why do they need so many printed forms for the census if it's going to be handled online?

I don't really doubt that they need them, but i can't figure out why.

Reply to
micky

The illegal aliens haven't figured out how to go online.

Reply to
rbowman

It is going to be offered online, for people that they allow to do it online. You need info from the mailing lable to do it online. Do you think everyone in the US has internet access?

Reply to
Bob F

I think at least half of them do, which leaves about 160/170 million or

50 - 80 million households. Yet they are printing more than a billion.

Of course they have to print a letter, to send to each household, and maybe they could even send the questions along with it so they can plan ahead, but that would only be 160 million households, plus they will go by foot to find people who didn't reply on the first round, and each one of them has to have some forms, but even if they had annother 160 million forms for that, as if no one had used the computer, that's still

320 million and they are printing a billion and a half.
Reply to
micky

That seem strange. OTOH, Trump may have annexed India and needs the census. Could it be a billion pages? IIRC it is a multi page form.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Anyone who matters does ;-)

Reply to
Fast Eddie

34% of senior citizens don't use the Internet. Are those the people whom you want to exclude from the census?

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

"Don't use the internet" is very different from "no access to the internet." Many seniors have access- but chose not to use it, See the difference?

Reply to
Fast Eddie

It still doesn't exclude the fact they don't use the internet.

Reply to
Meanie

Yes, a lot of seniors have the internet just sitting on the countertop and don't bother with it at all. My aunt put hers in the basement to get it out of the way.

They should be forced to use it for the census though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This town has quite a nice public library. The illiterate have full access to it but besides the restrooms and chairs to sleep in it is of no use to them.

Reply to
rbowman

That has to be an old statistic. I live in geriatric central and I don't know more than a handful of 65+ who don't at least use Email or Facebook. They generally have an old laptop or desktop they got from their kids but they still use them. OTOH a lot of the old people I know have brand new ones because they get their old one so loaded up with adware, tool bars and viruses they just throw them away every couple years.

Reply to
gfretwell

"1.5 billion paper forms, letters and other mailings"

Reply to
Bob F

Do you enjoy being an A.Hole?

This is what "conservatives" have become? Wanting to force people that don't have a clue about the internet to have to learn how to use it to be counted in the census? At least, if it happens, trumppublitards are going to lose millions of aged voters in places like Florida.

Reply to
Bob F

Heh. That's what my mother does after she's crapped up her PC so bad it slows to a crawl or otherwise screws it up.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I used to scoop them up and reload them but I have so many late model desk tops and monitors I picked up on the curb that you can barely walk in my shop. I started throwing away anything that wasn't 2.4gz dual core or better. A W/7 machine is a great addition to any TV. It makes the TV instantly far "smarter" than any "Smart TV" I have seen. Get a modern "wireless desktop" (pointing device and keyboard) and you can run it from anywhere in the living room. I like the logitech system with 1 dongle that will run a whole host of devices out to 30 feet or so.

Reply to
gfretwell

That sounds right and more than half of them will be thrown away without reading. Response to the census itself is always disappointing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Actually, yes.

Humor impaired eh? Just how would one go about forcing old people to use the internet?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ah, so Ed is right. 1.5 billion pages. In that case, and I hate to give ammunition to Stumpie, they probably could have printed the pages are the same for everyone now and the questions later.

Of course he's lost already, and the case that includes the papers discovered on the harddrive of his advisor hasn't even come to court yet. The instruction is, aiui, to "find another reason". No reason they come up with now can be THE reason they wanted to do that.

Reply to
micky

Chain them to the PC and tell them that they don’t get to eat until they order a food delivery using the PC.

Reply to
Rod Speed