OT: Replacement water heater for home (NSOT??)

After posting I also noticed the mains power cable isn't in conduit, that definitely would not pass here in Australia. Probably same for the gas lines too, as you mentioned. But I've seen much worse examples around these parts.

Reply to
Jeßus

With no electric your water would not operate, for one its thermostat wouldn't function. Unless it's a pot on the stove bo water heater operates with no electric, with no electric its thermostat shuts down so it stops heating water, even a gas fired water heater will not operate with mo electric.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

plastic sediment drain. I'd figured to put in a brass quater turn valve (not a bra like new tanks. Would that be triple E cup?)] year tanks up here anyway. The

Center posted, as your reply was.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Where I live (NY state, USA) most of the gas water heaters have no connection to the 110 VAC power. Most use a thermocouple to the gas valve.

I've only seen two or three gas WH in my life, which need 110 VAC power. Those were the power vented ones.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had a gas floor furnace years ago that worked fine without an external power supply. Older gas/propne water heaters also worked without an external power supply. They didn't have fans for the exhaust gases. A brief explanation here:

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Most will. Most use a thermopile to run the thermostatic controls. Only the forced exhaust type typically require outside power - some of them have electric ignition too - but certainly not all. Without the forced draft the gas cannot come on on the forced draft units.

Reply to
clare

It puzzled me that older units had pilot lights, then mine is a newer model and it also maintained a pilot light ... I guess I am a little confused about the technology not being uniform, usually it seems when it changes, all the models change across the brands.

I'm not expressing my thought too well here. I did get that he has electronic ignition and lost that with the power.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

Looking at Lowes, a heater is in the $400 to $550 range. They can also arrange installation. It won't be the cheapest, but you won't have to deal with shysters either. Worth considering if you don't know a plumber.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It is interesting, but I was a bit disappointed in the potential savings for Energy Star: Choosing an ENERGY STAR qualified gas storage water heater instead of a standard model can save a family of four about $25 per year.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Would have been pretty stinky around here if no hot showers.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I can't speak for him but our bills went right down when we got rid of the tank.

Reply to
Ophelia

Of course not. We used to have that but changed and this is cheaper and more efficient.

But do you have a large tank of water? This system (for the hot water) heats only what you take.

Reply to
Ophelia

Any time some thing is made that makes no sense, I figure it's got to be either environmentally friendly, or energy saving. Either which what way, probably forced on us by government regulation.

Detergent without phosphates. Low flow toilets. Vehicles with less passenger space due to huge air bags. Stoves too small for a bird, due to energy efficiency requirements and thick wall insullation. And the list goes on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My natural gas water heater has no electric service, and I rather like it that way. During the ice storm 2003, hot water was really nice to have.

"somebody" is singular. "they" is plural. Ought have written that he or she didn't read.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I know of two ways. One is referral from your friends.

Second is to call several plumbers. See who talks simply on the phone, and makes sense. Take the list to the Lord in prayer, and be sensetive to the prompting of the Spirit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And now we see Clare's complete failure of a mind reading act.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The last long power failure we had in NJ (5 or 6 days, wintertime), we had plenty of hot water available from our gas water heater.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I have gas heat, hot water, and stove. I've never lost gas but during a power outage, my gas furnace won't work (needs a fan to blow the forced air) and it shuts down without electricity. Same thing for my gas hot water heater. Without electricity, it shuts down. Gas stove is the only thing I can use during a power outage.

Reply to
Gary

I have gas heat, hot water, and stove. I've never lost gas but during a power outage, my gas furnace won't work (needs a fan to blow the forced air) and it shuts down without electricity. Same thing for my gas hot water heater. Without electricity, it shuts down. Gas stove is the only thing I can use during a power outage.

Reply to
Gary

Same here.

Cheri