OT Razor strop dressing?

I've tried Google but what I've found is not available in the stores I've looked in.

What is a good razor stop dressing you've found to work? Something available in stores in the US - not mail order on line please - I've seen that with Google.

If you're curious, it is for my father's ancient Rolls Razor I inherted and am going to try after ignoring it for many years. I'm getting very tired of ineffective electrics and very expensive decent safety razor blades.

TIA

Reply to
KenK

If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft near you, they will have it. I use the Tormek compound for my chisels and hand plane blades. I don't know if it's any worse or better than any other.

Michael Wilson

Michael Wilson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Unfortunately, I just looked in phonebook - neither are listed. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep my eye open for Tormek - perhaps Tru-Value or Walmart?

Reply to
KenK

jewelers rouge is what my Dad used

Reply to
JAS

JAS wrote in news:lrohph$ub3$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Where can one get that? Hardware store? Can't recall seeing it for sale anywhere. though I've heard of it.

Reply to
KenK

I always used rouge with my straight razors. Doesn't do much, stropping isn't for sharpening. Grizzly has various compounds but if you just gotta have it locally you could probably find it (or other similar) at Home Depot/Lowes...look for polishing compound, check the Dremel area too.

Reply to
dadiOH

Walmart had it at one time or amazon

Reply to
JAS

If you can't find it - or other suitable - use auto rubbing compound. It is basically rouge but not in a nice waxy base like that made for polishing other things.

Reply to
dadiOH

Google will point you to over a hundred on-line sources for jewelers rouge.

Home depot carries it (#202886226)

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Try this...best advice I've seen.

===

Reply to
Roy

I've read that it is possible to buy stuff over the World Wide Interweb from stores like that. Real space age stuff. You put the money in the slot on the computer and in a couple of days the mailman brings it from the store.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I thought they printed it out on your 3-D printer.

Reply to
Pico Rico

You can buy it on the computer, just like in the astounding world of the future:

Stormin Mormon

I asked a barber iirc about where to buy a straight razor, and he sold me one of his. I think he told me a couple things but nothing about strop dressing. Hmmm.

I used it for a while but stopped. Maybe if I'd known about strop dressing I would have used it much longer. I used a wide leather belt for a strop.

Now, of all the thousands of little things I own, that razor is the only one I can't find.

I would get a good, close shave with Ronson electrics. If I pressed too hard, it actually cut my skin. But they don't make them any more. They do make ones that are very similar, with the important feature, a very thin metal thing over the moving blades. It's so thin you have to be careful not to put bends or kinks in it.

Norelco style has a very thick shield, and consequently doesn't give a close shave.

And if you watch tv they are selling something quite like what my father used, and i used his razor for a while too. NOt electric. That takes standard double-edged** (not twin-edged) blades, Gillette blue blades, or later they had platinum-plated of all things. **The blade is flat, shaped like an envelope and the sharp edges are the top and bottom edges of the "envelope".

The problem with these is that they were like a tank, driving though the whiskers, crushing anything that got in the way, including cutting off any little imperfection in my skin if it was higher than average. Well this didn't happen very often, but I shaved about 10 times a week and once a week was too often

Nonetheless, here is the tv offer

I saw about ten or 20 years ago that it was getting hard to buy double-edged blades that would fit this style, and I planned to buy a lifetime supply by going to a drugstore and dickering with him, how much did he want for 40 packages. But I dawdled so long, Ithink their blades got too expensive and even a discourt for volume would have been a lot.

So I went to the web and bought 20 packages of 5 iirc for 10 dollars, but if you bought 40 packages, it was only 15 dollars so that's what I bought. 200 blades. Even if I shaved every day, I bought myself two lifetimes worth. Do you who know think they go dull just sittling in the package for 10 or 20 years?

They're made in Turkey of all places. None of that platinum coating which I think was a gimmick.

My roommate in college had bought, in Mexico I think (but this was 40 years ago) one like it but with white plastic handle. It was much better, because it wasn't so heavy, and it would bump up when it hit some of that skin and not cut me.

Then in NYC on Chambers Street around 1980, I found all-plastic double edge razors. I think they were 10 cents a piece. I bought 2 and when I liked them, I bought 8 more. I wish I'd bought 30, because I broke a couple, maybe lost a couple, and now I only have one!. It's even lighter than the one with the white handle and shaving is comfortable. Like with most double-edged razors, you can adjust the blade pitch by how much you turn the handle.

Ironically, I think these were meant to be given away free at hotels, like the shampoo, etc. If you could get those all plastic ones, they're wonderful.

I've had a beard for almost 30 years now. I asked at my new job 30 years ago, as a visiting programmer, if they wanted me to cut off my beard (so as to not alienate clients) but they said no. I sort of wished they'd say yes.

So I've talked about everything but what you want. I don't know about what youwant, sorry.

Well, this might have something for stropping

And this has an all plastic double edged-blade razor!!! It's not like the ones I like so much, but it is all plastic I think. You can see how it loads by looking in the bottom rigght of the card.

And my gosh, here's the one I was raving about, except mine was black and cream and this is all fire-engine red.

but instead of 10 cents, it's 10 dollars! I wonder if it is less fragile. Maybe it costs a dollar 40 years ago, and inflation has brought that to 10 dollars, but the ones I bought were surplus and dumped at 1/10th their regular price.

They also have WWII era US Military issue dark brown plastic double edge safety razor. for $6, and Gillette WWII Plastic Tech Double Edge Safety Razor for 19 dollars.

So maybe these weren't made to be given away at hotels, but were made for the US or British armies. And the ones I bought in 1975 or 80 had been sitting around since the Korean War.

Reply to
micky

You don't need one of those. Just a liquid-solid modem.

Reply to
micky

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've always considered anyting "as seen on tv" to be overpriced crap primarily mardeted to the typical tv-watcher moron mentality.

Reply to
Zaky Waky