OT question about photo websites and private photos

I do surveillance video/photo editing for a friend of mine. Often, they want many photos taken from captured videos and/or photos cleaned up then resubmitted to them. The main problem is getting the photos back to them. They usually ask me to email them, but without reducing their size/resolution, that's difficult to do when sending many photos. I like to keep them in high resolution for obvious reasons. Therefore, I'm stuck with copying them to a disk or USB drive then getting it to them. A disk is no big deal but the likelihood of not receiving my USB drive back becomes a problem and then there's an issue if they want them ASAP. Therefore, I thought of a photo website and the possibility of making a "private" section with the photos they need. For obvious reasons again, it's imperative they don't fall onto the eyes of others and thus, they would be the only one to gain access.

I use Flickr but haven't checked to see if that's possible, but I'm also very concerned about photos on a website period, being seen by others and overall, apprehensive to even put them up there.

Anyone know of a good photo website to allow what I need or have a better solution for my dilemma?

Thanks

Reply to
Meanie

For a business need like that I would host a server myself. Nothing beats that for controlling access.

Reply to
George

Set yourself up with a free account with fileden.com.

When you upload files to it, you'll get a URL for the file that you can give to anyone that will let them download the file from their browser. They won't need to enter any sort of user-name or password to access the file.

People can't simply browse fileden to see what others have uploaded and then access them. You need to have the URL in order to access the file, and only the uploader (who is also usually the account owner) will know the URL.

Reply to
Home Guy

Use Winrar and make one file with all the photos. You can even password the set.

CDs cost a single stamp to mail and about a dime apiece. I used to send a disk to my nephew once a month. I just printed his name and my return address on a single sheet of paper and used it for the envelope.

Reply to
Metspitzer

"Meanie" wrote in news:k1grdc$jes$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Try this:

It's sort of like an FTP service, but using your browser. You can send

500MB this way, if you want. Works really well.
Reply to
Tegger

I should add, it needs to be easy for the receiving end to open and view. They are not very computer literate. How exactly does Winrar work?

As I also stated, there are many times when the photos need to get to the attorney ASAP and snail mail doesn't cut it.

Reply to
Meanie

Thus far, I'm thinking about it, but considering all other options.

Reply to
Meanie

"Meanie" wrote

Forget Winrar or any other compression program because they don't compress photos! Photos are already compressed. Use an FTP site.

Reply to
David Kaye

Looks interesting. Some ISPs have a small attachment limit. If this is the case and I send a large attachment file(s), will they still receive it and if so, any special requirements from the receiving end such as going to a website or can they simply check email the normal way and view?

Reply to
Meanie

"Meanie" wrote in news:k1h0ue$ldf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Attachment limits are for MAIL. YouSendIt works through your BROWSER. It completely bypasses the usual SMTP limits. The maximum size of the files you can send depends on the type of account you have with YouSendIt, not with your ISP.

When you log in to YouSendIt, you get a different screen from what you saw just now. When you send a file via YouSendIt, you specify a recipient email address. The file itself is uploaded to YouSendIt's server. The recipient is then sent an email telling him that you have uploaded a file to YouSendIt, and is given a link to click. That link takes him to the Web page where he clicks the Download button, then he is given the normal "Save File" dialog box that he's surely used to seeing.

We have a few large clients who use YouSendIt because their IT security has closed their FTP ports; otherwise we could just send them files via our FTP site. We often transfer large graphic files, and YouSendIt is perfect for that.

Mind you, you do need to pay for this service for large files, so if you're looking for a freebie site, then sorry, I haven't got one.

Reply to
Tegger

"Meanie" wrote

Email was never designed for binary attachments such as photos and sound. Best to get an FTP site and give the address to the recipient to enter into their browser address bar. Instead of

it would be ftp://ftp.example.com/yourname or something like that. Or if this happens enough with the same recipient, you could get them a copy of Winscp or another ftp client.

Reply to
David Kaye

"David Kaye" wrote in news:k1h28e$s6h$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

FTP is going by the wayside. With the price of data transfer and storage falling, this sort of thing is moving to the Web, with such sites as YouSendIt.

YouSendIt makes it falling-off-a-log easy for both the sender and the recipient. Great service. Highly recommend.

Reply to
Tegger

Google Photos/Picasa Web Albums. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Secure? No others will be able to view it unless I send a link, password or otherwise?

Reply to
Meanie

Someone already suggested it. Set up your own FTP site. Web.Com does it for me for $12 a month. You can set up a FTP index for each of your clients and password protect it. You also get Email accounts with no limit on attachment size.

Reply to
gfretwell

That sounds real secure. Clueless as usual.

Reply to
trader4

recyclebinned

Don't use Flickr or any other web service. Even if marked private, all somebody has to do is look at the source code and get the photo that way.

When a photo is marked private, Flickr gives it a unique URL address, but if anyone knows how to get the web address.

Flickr does offer Geofencing but I know nothing about how it works. here is a very quick lesson..

You are better off just using winrar or 7zip as somebody suggested, package the files under a passworded archive and either emailing or having them uploaded/downloaded to a trusted file transfer site.

If you wanna keep any prying eyes off of those photos, don't use any photo sharing website

Reply to
Duesenberg

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com double-spaced:

Is mangle.ca supposed to have some sort of significance to what I posted above?

Reply to
Home Guy

And trader4coward doesn't want to explain why that wouldn't be secure?

Hey - tell you what.

I've got some files on fileden. I dare you to post the links. Or are

*you* clueless - as usual.?
Reply to
Home Guy