OT: Potential Government Shutdown

With all of the recent news about government funding there was mention of essential and non-essential government workers. My question is why are there ANY non-essential government workers?

That should be budget cut No. 1!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Tradition mostly.

Reply to
gfretwell

If they are on leave when they get furloughed, they will come back because they still get paid. Save the leave.

Reply to
gfretwell

I fully understand that following a government shutdown all "non-essential" personnel are paid for that time. However, the government's definition of "non-essential" and my definition are not the same, or even close.

I went to the following address to get an idea on how many agencies there are in our government. The number is a lot more than one would expect.

The following list is just those agencies beginning with the letter "A." Sheesh. Most of these are in the Executive branch and probably created for nepotism.

AbilityOne Commission Access Board Administration for Children and Families (ACF) Administration for Community Living Administration for Native Americans Administration on Aging Administration on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Administrative Conference of the United States Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts Advisory Council on Historic Preservation African Development Foundation Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Agency for International Development (USAID) Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) Agricultural Research Service Agriculture Department (USDA) Air Force Air Force Reserve Alabama Alaska Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Bureau (ATF) Alhurra TV AmeriCorps American Battle Monuments Commission American Samoa Amtrak (AMTRAK) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Antitrust Division Architect of the Capitol Archives, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) Arctic Research Commission Arizona Arkansas Armed Forces Retirement Home Arms Control and International Security Army Army Corps of Engineers Arthritis, Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases, National Institute of

The following are those agencies that we MAY have a legitimate need for. The rest would be better suited if fulfilled by private enterprises and paid for by those who want or need the service. Not the taxpayers.

Agriculture Department (USDA) Air Force Air Force Reserve Alabama (Uncle Monster is the only reason it made the list) Alaska Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Bureau (ATF) Archives, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) Arizona Arkansas Army

That is a 75% reduction in agencies and probably a similar reduction in tax payer burden. These are my definitive examples of non-essential personnel.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

That first sentence is great, BUT you are still posting political statements to a supposedly non-political group. Will you find a new home and let the rest know so they can follow you. Thank you.

Reply to
Tekkie?

so when during the "shut down" national parks were closed means no service was provided to the people who paid for it and the employees who don't have to work get retroactive pay?

Reply to
ZZyXX