OT: Postal mailbox, is it necessary?

Is it necessary (required by law) for my home to have a mailbox?

I tried googleing around but could not find a difinitive answer.

I cant think of any reason to have a mailbox lately, as I can instruct all companies to use email. And I can help the environment by not throwing out the 8 inch pile of crap that is delivered to me every day.

Reply to
RickH

You could request the post office not send you junk mail...forget the terms, but something like a "do not call" list. If you got some legal notice or something important, you would not have it delivered.

Reply to
norminn

Only if you expect to receive mail.

Good luck with that. Let us know how that works out for you with:

- your mortgage lender

- your local property tax authority

- the IRS

- your state (and local, if applicable) income tax agencies

- any retailer using GE Credit Services to manage their store credit cards; this includes Sears and Lowe's, among others.

- anyone who needs to send you any sort of legal notices

Reply to
Doug Miller

I detect a strong odor of troll vapors arising from this post.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Of course not. If they do come by to deliver, the postman will leave a not stating that you need to pick up your mail at the post office, and put you on a list restricting future deliveries until which time you provide them with an approved recepticle for your mail.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

RickH wrote: ...

Leaving it to somebody else to do so or in worst case for that w/ return, adding to waste/expense by the return journey...

Yeah, that would save lots...

Reply to
dpb

Hanlon's Razor. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I don't know about that...

There's lots of process improvement possibilities that could reduce cost.

Let's simplify the process and say that there are only 5 steps:

Printer produces junk mail Junk mail is delivered to post office. USPS delivers junk mail to the addressee Addressee dumps it in the recycling bin Waste hauler takes it to the recycliing plant

If the addressee suspended mail delivery services, the USPS would dump the junk mail and *their* waste hauler would take it to the recycliing plant. There would be economies of scale, less gas used by the addressee's waste hauler, etc. This would save some money.

If the USPS returned the junk mail to the printer - and steps were taken to ensure that no more junk mail was produced for that address - then (eventually) there would be cost savings at every step as less junk was printed,less was delivered and less was hauled away.

My only point is that if we never take any steps to reduce the amount of junk mail we "accept" nothing will change. If we refuse it in some manner, then maybe, eventually, the overall cost of the process - end- to-end - might indeed go down.

...and if pigs could fly...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I just ran into the postmaster of our little PO at the store. She says you are not required to have a box and even if you have one, you can still have the PO hold your mail and not put it in the box.

As for junk mail, it is a huge profit center for the post office. That is why they like it.

Reply to
gfretwell

I don't get mail where I live, I have a private mail, shipping and receiving service. It's the only address I give out. I have no problems with stolen or tampered with mail anymore.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Your own post office would have the last say on that; there can be different arrangements, etc.. I think you can do it in most areas, but ... it's folly to do so. Banks, all kinds of places would refuse your business. But check with the PO first

Reply to
Twayne

Having a physical address i.e. for banks and the like, is not the same as accepting mail at that address.

Reply to
Pete C.

Snowmass, Colorado has no residential mail boxes and does not provide home delivery --

Reply to
JimR

Dimitrios Paskoudniakis

That's good. They used to lose money on it, I think, but now the junk places have to pay more to annoy us.

Reply to
mm

Is it necessary (required by law) for my home to have a mailbox?

The same thing in Beckenridge, you either get a post office box or go to general delivery to get your mail.

Reply to
hrhofmann

no. the po will just trash anything but first class mail, and if it (the first class mail) is undeliverable, they'll just send it back.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I pick up my mail from the various senders. Most are within 150 miles so once a month I visit the phone company, electric company, friends that want to send me birthday cards, etc. The following month I make the same trip dropping off checks and picking up the next month's bills. I save a bundle on postage.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sounds like the housewife who drives to the next county to save three-cents on a pound of bananas.

Reply to
HeyBub

I still have a rickety old mail box up but I didn't fix it very well the last time a bunch of idiots went by in the middle of the night and drove over mine and a few other mail boxes in our neighborhood. That shit happens way too often out here in the country.

I still get a few things in the box but I didn't fix the flag so I don't put any outgoing mail in the box. That's a little bit of a security risk these days anyway with all the creeps out there trying to steal folks identity.

I have a PO. Box in town anyway so I try to get most every thing sent there. I got that when I was selling a bunch of stuff on eBay for a couple of years and didn't want to post my physical address on the internet. Now, I only have to go get the mail two or three times a week so It ain't much of a hassle for me.

As far as stuff with the banks and loans and the IRS and such. Even if I took down the box I would still have a physical address for my residence. It's just that my mailing address would be different. But I have run into a couple of instances when purchasing stuff on the internet that some folks won't ship to a PO Box.

David

Reply to
hibb