OT Paying by credit card over the phone

I'll say. Europe and SE Asia started using card chip and PIN almost 10 years ago. Small business still does not want to use POS machine which handles chip and PIN processing. This machine costs more that old swipe and sign one. Lazy Canucks are known to use most debit and CC in the world at an extra cost(service charge). We seniors get break on that part on our bank account.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

On 11/9/2011 8:34 AM, Tegger wrote: ...

Well, one just walking in off the street, I'd not expect anything different.

OTOH, if one has established relationship w/ a dealership, one may have a totally different experience.

We've dealt w/ a particular dealership here since trucks began to replace wagons for farm use and anything needed is on account. Discount from list varies some but is generally 20% although occasionally negotiate a little on really major items (like the front transfer case gearset last year :( ). Shop rates are fixed, though, unfortunately, but they're entitled to make a living, too...

--

Reply to
dpb

Careful - your southern ignorance is showing.

Go and read this:

And then tell me where your crack-pot European "poor and expensive phone system" theory factors into this story.

Reply to
Home Guy

How'd you find that out?

I can only speak for my own experience.

I couldn't say exactly what percentage of discount I have enjoyed on my measly 5 purchases (total ~$1000) from 2 (Ford) dealerships, but I remember being really happy every time. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Hi, One way to do is faxing the order with CC info and signature and shipping address, phone no. etc. It always worked for me getting thing from South of border. Or I use Paypal for instant payment.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hmmm, To me that is bull! Any dealership I go, there is a parts counter. They are more than happy to sell you whatever you want. This summer we had to rebuild son's car engine damaged from oil pump pick up tube problem. Every thing I need starting with a short block I got them all from a local dealership(Subaru). Not in stock items they ordered all for us. Dealers really make money selling parts and servicing the cars they sell.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The Apple store does that here. And one of the carwashes has them hanging off their belts.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

These are RFID chips that can be read by anyone standing near you and if they watch you key in your PIN, you have been compromised.

Reply to
gfretwell

On 11/9/2011 10:39 AM, Tony Hwang wrote: ...

The question was whether they discount walkin traffic, not whether they would sell at list.

--

Reply to
dpb

We do have credit cards with RFID chips if you ask for them, you just wave it close to the merchant's terminal, however, the chipped cards being discussed have a gold contact patch on the face that must contact with the merchant's terminal by inserting the card into a slot. Nearly all credit cards are being changed over to this type with an auxiliary magnetic stripe on the back. This is not a RF type of chip.

Reply to
EXT

I didn't understand to whom or what he was addressing, but to avoid any confusion I think the question was whether they -might- offer a discount.

I don't consider myself the average walk-in traffic, either.

I call ahead with my year, make, model and part number/s and always have my poop in a group so I don't waste his possibly commissioned sales time, and I get his/her name, and write it down, and I use it.

Then, because I have a local dealer background, I can use "industry speak" and/or mention I worked with the local dealer king when we were both "trotting the lot". Chances are decent, even.... 25 years later... we know someone in common.

As a "real" (trained*) salesman one of my best skills is finding and establishing some sort of common ground from which to quickly being and forward a relationship.

And, I'm pretty good at getting strangers to like me. In these instances I might say, "Boy, they're pretty proud of that, aren't they..?!". Doesn't sound like much, I know, but it's all in the delivery and timing.

The point is, IME, they can and will extend a discount to an owner.

I think I already said that... Jezus this is a tough room.

*As an example of sales training is the re-re-re-introduction ad nauseum technique ( That's my term, I don't remember the actual.)

Psychologically, people feel they know you better and become more susceptible to your suggestions when they have met you more than once, and the time between those meetings can be surprisingly short.

You just excuse yourself for a few minutes... for anything. For example, you leave/forget everything in the car and tote it in one piece at a time. You ask to use the bathroom, etc.

People feel they have met you x times (I think the optimum is 5) and know you better and therefore trust you more, and you can squeeze those 5 different "meetings" into 15-20 minutes.

Bonus (2): "Real" salespeople know you can listen someone into buying something a lot easier than talking them into it.

That can be as simple as repeating back the customer's objection as a question, and then shutting the f*ck up: "We can't afford that." "You can't afford it...?"

Or, alternatively, "Is is that you can't afford it, or you just don't think you deserve it...?"

Or, you can just look at them, quizzically, as if you're wondering why they are wasting your time contemplating buying something they know would not be cheap.

The important part is shutting the f*ck up. You don't want to cough, sneeze, fart, clear your throat or suck air through your teeth. (And you would not believe how hard that can be to learn/do, even once you know it!)

I can't tell you how many times I've seen those work. People will sit right there and convince themselves, aloud, the last thing they told you was a lie, even if it's true!

That might be the basis for the old joke: How can you tell when your customer is lying? A: Their lips move.

The end... -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

On 11/9/2011 1:00 PM, gpsman wrote: ...

Again, I wasn't responding to you but to the tony...

I will say, however, it would be the most unusual dealership I ever saw that gave the parts counterman leeway to decide which customer he's giving which discount based on anything other than the account.

We have an account at dealerships of the varietals which use; I know what to expect there. If for some reason it required something from another I have no expectation would get anything except list even if I were the Pope or the Prez or the counterman's brother unless the blanket policy was such.

--

Reply to
dpb

Ever heard of Internet?

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Yeah, yeah. I'm guessing dealerships only give the discounted price to those with a parts account. Anyway, last time I was "friendly" with a dealership parts guy was at a Chevy place. When GM was going bankrupt. Mentioned something positive like, "They'll pull through." So he starts ragging on the UAW. Pissed me off, because I was there paying too much for a badly designed part - don't remember which one, but it was dealer only. I shut him up by holding the part up in his face and asking, "Did the UAW design this piece of shit?" You can butter up these guys all you want and maybe they'l throw you an o-ring every five years. Polite is enough for me.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

"EXT" wrote in news:4ebabf7b$0$2618$ snipped-for-privacy@auth.newsreader.octanews.com:

Indeed this is NOT an RFID chip. That is in the tap and go cards, whatever there name is. I've had a Dutch card like that for ages. Great in Europe. Here in the US the mag stripe works fine.

Reply to
Han

And I didn't respond to you but to Tegger. Maybe the GG interface is in another of its sharting fits...

I don't know. I got a $700 windshield for $150 (from a glass shop, not a dealer/'90 Geo Metro), ostensibly just by calling back the next day and saying, "This is gpsman at gpsco". They didn't ask for a tax ID or nuthin'.

Of course that was Montana, where there is no state sales tax... but I routinely negotiate discounts from sale prices at stores like Macy's.

It's not hard. You just make an lesser offer and they rarely fail come back with -some- additional discount, free delivery, warranty, etc..

If they can, of course, and/or if they think they might be stuck returning it to the distributor. It has to make sense to them. If they let me walk I know I need to step up. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

Which is why I refused to use one. A CC card transaction can be disputed. Not so a debit card.

I originally stated "almost" any/everywhere. In the 20 yrs I used one, that was pretty much the case. I was almost never refused a transaction by ATM card. That included restaurants, mini-marts, gas stations, box stores, dept stores, etc. Most stores in a mall always excepted ATM cards as payment, including Penny's, Sears, Macy's, etc. Granted, cash-back was pretty much limited to large sprmkt chains, but I could always get $100+. Also, any ATM machine, including other banks, would honor any ATM card, for a flat fee.

Here in CO, an ATM card is good only at the issuing bank's branch ATM machine, PERIOD, end of story. In short, they're useless for general transactions. Commercial machines here in CO dispense cash only for CCs.

nb

Reply to
notbob

I did - and didn't see anything that contradicted what I posted. This statement in particular was interesting:

"For American card issuers, the cost of implementing the new system may be prohibitive, says Coleman."

I explained the origins of chip & pin and why it isn't generally available in the US today. What exactly do you disagree with?.

Reply to
Robert Neville

They are/were known as Visa Electron and Matercard Maestro cards. Unfortunately my bank stopped offering them a few years ago. Also known as online only or PIN based debit cards as they could not be used in offline signature mode.

Reply to
Robert Neville

Why couldn't they just use a pin with the stripe card? It works fine with debit cards.. What does the chip have to do with it other than being slightly harder to duplicate?

Reply to
gfretwell