(OT) Opinions on Ceramic Cookware wanted

I've been thinking about buying a ceramic frying pan for someone as a gift. You've probably all seen the tv commercials for that Green one which I think is called Orgreenic or something like that.

Anyhow, it looks like it's good, but I dont believe commercials since they always exaggerate or even lie.

I've noticed that they sell that TV brand at Walmart now, but also sell similar (but less costly) pans. All are called "ceramic".

Have any of you used any of these? Are they as good as they look on the commercials? Any bad points or problem issues?

I think this would be a good gift for someone who likes to cook, and actually I've thought of buying one of them for myself, since I tend to burn stuff onto pans and then I have to spend hours cleaning it off, or tossing the pan....

I never found teflon pans worth much. Food burned onto them too, and they can release dangerous fumes if they are overheated too. Not to mention they scratch and are then useless.

Which brings up one last question, do the ceramic pans require those special no-scratch plastic utensils, or can a regular metal spatula or other utensil be used on them?

I'm just looking for feedback, good - bad - or otherwise!

Reply to
Paintedcow

I bought a 8" ceramic fry pan at Walmart or Meijers, don't remember which. It's white with a lime green handle and no mfg markings so don't know the brand.

Using about a tbsp of real butter, I can fry no-stick eggs every time. Two thumbs up!

My wife, otoh, sticks the eggs to the pan and makes a gobdam fusking mess every time she uses it.

Re non-stick properties, I'd rate the new teflon-like coatings better than this ceramic coating. Having only used the ceramic pan for about 6 months, can't say how well it will hold up.

YMMV

Reply to
Jack Kittoff

I have no experience with ceramic, but Teflon works OK for me too. Food will burn onto any pan if you allow it to burn. If you use a Teflon pan properly, food doesn't stick to it. It's true they can release fumes if you use them on high heat, which I don't do. If I'm using really high heat, I typically use a cast iron pan.

But a ceramic pan would probably be a good gift for someone that cooks and doesn't have one. I'd be interested in trying it out.

Reply to
trader_4

All ceramic or ceramic coated? If it is all ceramic, will be heavy in weight. You are not using Teflon properly. Too hot or even little scratch will shorten it's life. Don't use metal anything on Teflon.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

They advise against using metal untensils in these pans.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

They say the same thing about Teflon. I usually use non-metal with Teflon, but not always. If you have some common sense and use metal gently, eg for stirring, it works for me. But for sure you don't want to be using metal to poke around and try scrape off burned on food, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

We have a set of the Green pans you mentioned. They work well, and most food doesn't stick unless you walk off and let it burn, but clean up is as if nothing ever got stuck.

We use plastic or rubber utensils with it, but I've used some metal utensils, too, and they didn't do any damage to the green coating.

Reply to
Muggles

If y0u look at the Amazon reviews, about 37% were poorly rated. I'd not chance it.

I use a cheap Teflon pan for eggs and it has worked well for a few years. You just have to take care of it. For more serious cooking, Woll has coated pans that are thick for even heating and have coatings that work better than Teflon. They are considerably more money though. I have two and they are real work horses.

If you really want the best, get a copper pan. No one is allowed to use mine. Not taking any chances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I used cast iron one when camping. Pan, and griddle. Once broken in and taken care of, works very good. Now no more camping.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Do you even know what you want? Lotta ceramic "coated" cookware, around. Le Creuset is a good example. Lotta cheapo pots/pans are ceramic coated. Both non-stick and plain. Regardless, NO non-stick coated pan should ever be used with metal utensils. NONE! Wood or plastic, only. Preferably wood.

nb

Reply to
notbob