OT Olympus OM-2 camera

Does anyone here use an OM-2? If you do, email me. I have something that may be of interest to you.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It wouldn't happen to be a working body, is it? My father worked for Olympus for a time and I have all his lenses and filters for his OM1, but his bodies are DOA and I hate to get rid of all his accessories and would love to resurrect them

Reply to
ChairMan

Maybe when Richard Simmons is released from mental custody, he can be your working body?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...coulda come from burka-boy...nice!

Reply to
bob_villain

The body was stolen and I have two very good but now useless lenses. I hate to trash them. My intention is to give them away to someone that can actually use them, not take them and sell them.

Most of us have moved to digital anyway, but I rally liked that OM-2. IIRC, it was over $300 in the early 80's.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, I had an OM2 too and really liked it as well as my Dads OM1. Aren't the lenses interchangeable? You might check some camera shops or pawn shop for a body. I've seen a few for about $100

Reply to
ChairMan

One time the "screw" holding the crank on my 35SP came loose and when I tightened it, I supertorqued it. I think Olympus had an outlet in Manhattan, or maybe it was just a good camera store, and they were going to order the part but it was marginal if I could get it before I was leaving on a vacation.

So they gave me the address of Olympus on Long Island. Lake Success... It's amazing how very easy it was to recall the town after

38 years. Just on the border with Queens. So I went out there that day, and I found a big one-story building in an industrial park with no signs on the building or the doors and no doorbell buttons. And the doors were locked. But I followed someone in and then there were no signs to say where to go.

But I walked the length of the building and found an office and asked to buy the part, and I was taken to a room where they got the part, and before I knew it, they put it in for me, cleaned the lens, and recalibrated the range-finder. But then they had no way to collect money so they didn't charge me for this. LOL It was a nice day.

(named after Lake Success, the lake. The original Indian name was Sucut. Former home of the United Nations, which is a very partial success.)

Reply to
Micky

The problem with these old SRL's is the inside components like leather and foam wear out. About year 2000 I took my Minolta SRT 101 to a camera shop, because the shutter had an occasional glitch. The camera guy told me it would cost about $300 to replace the internal parts. I went digital. The 101 and lenses just rest in my camera bag.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Well you could "sell" them on Ebay for the cost of the time it takes you to wrap them.

I wanted an Olympus SLR but all I could afford was a rangefinder. It worked great for years, and it was against my policy to carry it on hikes where I might fall and hurt it, but we went to see a virgin forest just east of DC, and I put it in my pack with a small carton of chocolate milk. How stupid is that. That was 10+ years ago and I figure the milk has turned to powder by now, and maybe I could take it apart and blow the powder away, but I haven't allocated the time, since I really do like digital.

Reply to
Micky

I had one of those too. My brother brought it back from Viet Nam, after he bought a Nikon to replace it. (He said maybe the Minolta was better, and I bet it was lighter. This was the Nikon that looked like it had been made a decade earlier and then the viewfinder replaced with something with a built-in meter.)

That broke on its own, no need for chocolate milk, and I did take that apart and found the white string had broken. So I bought another from Minolta, in NJ, and I thought I put it on right, but I guess not. The string is used, rather than maybe impossibly complicated levers and rods, because the string will run around corners (on pulleys) and it was used to connect the shutter speed with at least two more things. I can't remember. One must have been the shutter, duh, but I don't remember how the speed was controlled. Was the other the aperture... I don't think so. I had also bought a Minolta 101 service manual, from Minolta, not expensive, not bound but iirc one of those plastic binders with rectangular bent teeth that go through rectangular holes. I wonder where the camera and the book are. It's not like me to get rid of anything, and I know I didn't sell them in a non-working condition.

Reply to
Micky

I don't recall if they were interchangeable, but I do remember reading in some photography magazine that, at that time, Olympus lenses were as good, if not better, than any lenses coming outta the Nikon factory.

Or ebay.

nb

Reply to
notbob

True, but when you look at the SLR Digital equivelent to these they are pricey , too. Still like old 35mm

Reply to
ChairMan

Zuiko lense are some of the VERY best and they made some for Nikon, too Panasonic/Lumix uses them , too

Reply to
ChairMan

The trouble with pawn shops are that you never know what they are going to have or when.

There should be some way to computerize pawn shop inventory or to sell other used items on the computer.

They could call it Pbay.

Reply to
Micky

replying to Micky, tup wrote: I have an Olympus OM-2.. just picked it up off local page with a number of lenses.. what are your ones? maybe something I'm missing? I'm in New Zealand though .. not sure where you are Ed... with freight, might not be feasible.. :) I have a new mirrorless E-M10 and find it abit restricting.. am really excited to be getting back to basics with the Om-2! :)

Reply to
tup

I have a 28mm and a 75 - 150 zoom. Freight is a problem though. I just looked it up and it would be about $76. The lenses new are worth far more than that, but used, you may find them at that price or lower.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Tup wrote: Thanks so much Ed! Really good of you to check that out for me. I have both of those lenses here so of no use to me unfortunately :). According to the last owner of mine, the 28mm takes incredible lsndscapes.. Yet to test for myself :)

Reply to
Tup