OT. Not a Herd

I think immunity is a fleeting thing. We get a surge, people develop some immunity and the surge goes away, then some months later a different strain comes along and the immunity has waned. We have another surge.

Reply to
gfretwell

Then you have Fauci who isn't really even a doctor, he is a political apparatchik. Science is far from what is going on here. This is just a politically driven media event that is driven my un reviewed "studies" that are usually not much more than random anecdotes that advance an agenda. The left has theirs, the right has theirs. Both sides discredit the other, usually justifiably..

Reply to
gfretwell

A agree with Cindy on that one.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hubby the Caltech physicist shared the scientists' disdain for engineers until we watched a TV series about the engineering involved in designing BIG things like bridges and cruise ships and BUILDINGS and the clever things that engineers do to solve real-world problems.

We've always been DIY people, so we felt a certain kinship...

Reply to
The Real Bev

Friend's Caltech/UCSD ER doc-daughter was surprised when she got to med school and found that it was mostly just memorization.

It's fortunate that a few of them actually have god-like skills :-( A recent article said that docs only listen to you for the first 15 seconds or so -- from then on THEY talk. I can testify to that, even with regard to the docs I regard as good. The trick is to pique their curiosity in those 15 seconds so that they listen to the rest of the complex problem.

Hand puppets don't work...

Reply to
The Real Bev

Given my choice, I'll take an abrasive bastard like House over good old kindly Doc Welby. Bastardry is fine as long as you've got skill to back it up.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I thought everybody knew that. Duh.

Reply to
The Real Bev

There is that, but there's also the undiagnosed brain damage...

Reply to
The Real Bev

"Ah-HAH! A new invader! Kill it!" If you aren't us, you're against us!

New flu strain(s) every year. I think I had the flu 45 years ago, but maybe not. I don't get colds either. Moreover, I eat crap and take vitamins every once in a while when I think of it. My mom was never sick either. Viking genes rule!

Reply to
The Real Bev

Yeah Aaron Rodgers is all over this ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

The last actual MD I had as a PCP used to quote Web MD virtually word for word. He lived on his computer anyway. He always looked at the computer before he even talked to me and he kept referring back to it. I understand that was where my chart was but I also think it was where all his knowledge came from. The idea of a doctor being replaced by a computer doesn't seem that remote to me. When the instant computer driven blood tests become reality, it is not that far fetched. Computers already do a better job of reading X rays than most doctors and since X ray images are computer generated in real time, the computer might have you turn a little for a better look at something suspect while you are at the machine.

Reply to
gfretwell

RPI and Albany Medical College have a 7 year accelerated program.

A girl I went to high school with had much the same experience. I thought she was hot but in high school I won a prize in biology that she thought was hers to lose. I don't think she ever forgave me. I was a sleeper in high school but woke up for biology which I enjoyed.

I didn't pursue it as a career but my interest was in physiological psychology so I worked with white rats rather than humans. Rats don't bitch as much. 20 years later and I would have been in a cognitive science program but such a thing didn't exist at the time.

Reply to
rbowman

I never aspired to be a doctor knowing full well that 'bedside manner' wasn't in my repertoire.

Reply to
rbowman

In the fall of my freshman year before classes started I was involved in a project that was trying to predict future success based on testing. After a week of every test in the book we had a one on one with the program director. He advised me that I wasn't really cut out to be an engineer and should select one of the science programs.

It was an attempt to factor in creativity, curiosity, and other factors more that raw intelligence. I don't know if the program succeeded. In the '60s there was a feeling if you measured enough data points you could predict success. But then we were going to have flying cars real soon too. That was an extraordinarily optimistic era.

Reply to
rbowman

Took the wife to an urgent care place after she fell. The person seeing her was just a PA. Sent here for x-rays. X-ray doctor said all was ok. PA said she thought there were some broken ribs but she could not dispute the x-ray doc. Took the wife to a hospital emergency room about

4 hours later as she was in bad pain even after a pain pill or two. Hospital doctors said she had 3 broken ribs.

So much for one x-ray doctor's reading.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I remember some of the predictions that were made in the 60's. Cars would be on the highways going around 120 mph and helicopters would clear the wrecks in a very short time.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

That is going on here but the 120 part is illegal.

BTW did you see the story about the Tesla 3 crash? The driver and passenger died in the fire but they hit a tree at 90 (in a 30). The plaintiff's lawyer in the civil suit is blaming Tesla saying you can't sell a car based on how fast it goes and how cool it is without expecting drivers to go fast trying to be cool.

I am curious to see how that works out.

I will say a car that goes from 40 to 90 in a few hundred feet may be too much for your average 20 year old to handle. (what the black box said it did). He was trying to beat a yellow light and overdid it a might, squirreled out, hit the curb and went airborne "T bone" into the fatal tree after bouncing off another one. The battery lit up and incinerated the car before anyone could get to it but they were probably dead anyway. Certainly the passenger on the tree side anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

It takes a while for small cracks to show up -- the bone re-growth is easier to see. Even so, I would guess that if they hurt they weren't just cracks. Some readers are clearly better than others.

The local UrgentCare is useless. They couldn't dig a splinter out, they couldn't diagnose a UTI, and when a friend showed up after a fall they didn't even x-ray her -- just sent her to the REAL ER.

I broke a couple of ribs when I fell and landed on my ski binding. I could FEEL the movement. No insurance and I knew there was nothing they could do anyway beyond say "Take it easy and pop 4 ibuprofen/day" so that's what I did. It was a real bitch carrying in my mom's groceries so she wouldn't know I'd hurt myself.

Reply to
The Real Bev

I broke my collarbone in two places an \d some ribs. The collarbone wasn't too bad but the damn ribs bothered me for months.

Reply to
rbowman

Took me over a year to get over a broken collarbone. It had snapped in half and doctor should have operated but waited months to do so since it would not knit.

My wife fell once but did not go to the doctor but it hurt when she tried to play tennis. Later went to doctor and told him she thought she broke her rib and he said no and to prove her wrong when she insisted he ordered an xray. She was right and he was wrong.

We have had other bad docs.

Reply to
invalid unparseable