OT need step by step on this alternator/pulley/belt replacement

This is a 1977 Mercedes 280SE

belt, alternator, & pulley need replacing. everything is behind 2 other belts, so...

any step by step instructions [maybe with photos], no video, just pics somewhere on the internet?

Looks easy enough, but want to make sure there's no 'gotcha' half way through it.

Reply to
RobertMacy

thanks. that was also recommended by the place that sent me the parts.

I just spent 1 1/2 hour trying to get through their website, and even sign up, between balking [most prevalent] and plain throwing me off the web page ?! I finally gave up.

I kind of wanted to know what this entails before I invest. I may not even have all the right tools to do it. Hate to pay, THEN find out I just wasted the fee.

by the way the 3Rill has an english and a metric socket set, up to 12mm socket

Reply to
RobertMacy

Is there a Haynes or other aftermarket repair manual for your vehicle ? They're available for most makes/models , and many people like them because they don't usually assume a certain level of expertise .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I have a manual, that I've used before. It's in storage. I have NO access to it at this time. Not buy another one. I just need to check if replacing these items is an easy task, or if I get into the replacement and find that unnoticed at the start I need to pull the engine out, type of thing.

Reply to
RobertMacy

This is a 1977 Mercedes 280SE

belt, alternator, & pulley need replacing. everything is behind 2 other belts, so...

any step by step instructions [maybe with photos], no video, just pics somewhere on the internet?

Looks easy enough, but want to make sure there's no 'gotcha' half way through it.

I have a Infiniti and wanted a shop manual. Dealer wanted $450.00 Forget that. I think it was on E Bay I found the complete manual on a DVD or CD for about $10.00. Bought that. Needed a lift when belts needed changing as had to get to top and underneath . Took it to my mechanic and he did it fairly fast. $25.00 labor plus belts. I am too old to do this stuff. WW

Reply to
WW

Another manual is cheaper than the online service you mentioned earlier in this thread ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

EXACTLY! I just don't want to get into something that may require a bit more than is in the garage. But the answers seem to all be stuff like "depends"; "$120+" if I bring the parts with me; or "have to look at it" crap. I just want access to a mechanic who knows me enough to trust the answer's 'qualifications' I understand, so I can get a real response or find a mechanic who doesn't give out these rote answers that make him sound like a crook. the "I have to look at it" bothers me the most, even if it's a true statement. He could have at least said, "the last time I did one of those I charged $xxx and be the same for you as long as your car has NO problems. To be sure, I can tell you by looking at it ahead of starting to reapair it." Same information, but just not said so sleazy. And, likely after taking my car to someone who talks like that, I would easily approve 200% more with some good justification.

Reply to
RobertMacy

But haven't found one I can have in my hands today.

Reply to
RobertMacy

Were you planning on repairing the alternator, replacing it with rebuilt or new unit?

Reply to
Lab Lover

Robert,

Many public libraries have a good selection of auto manuals. Many libraries are now on-line.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

Have you seen this?

Lab Lover

Or these:

I have the original manuals for the 116 series, but I have the 300SD and the alternator is part of the engine, which is in a separate manual, so I don't have it for the gas engine. If you buy one of those, just make sure that it includes the manual for the engine, not just the 116 chassis.

Those cars are basic and the alternator is easy to get to. If you can see the bolts holding it and it looks clear how it comes off, I wouldn't be worried about doing it without the manual.

As I side thing, I've always wondered how people are selling all kinds of auto manufacturer's manuals online on CD's. You would think this is copyrighted and they would be busted.

Reply to
trader4

Reply to
RobertMacy

Ithought I posted that I had the alternator, pulley, and belt to replace the existing ones with.

Reply to
RobertMacy

THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR THANK YOU!!

Although the specifc model is not listed in his list, the photos look similar, and that everything is done from on top the hood access WITHOUT special tools, just that very appreciated list of tools

Now, I wonder where he talks about how to get the other two belts removed that are in the way ....

Reply to
RobertMacy

You are welcome. This should be fairly simple. Just remember, if the primary wire to the alternator fastens with a nut to a thread stud, DO NOT over tighten this nut. I would estimate 10 - 15 ft/lbs. This connection is usually made directly to a diode.

Reply to
Lab Lover

duly noted. don't have a torque wrench, but will only tighten until just before I hear that distinctive 'crunch'

Reply to
RobertMacy

Yeah, hard to describe how tight to make it, just make sure there is no twist in the wire lug.

Reply to
Lab Lover

are you at Rule in Boston?

Reply to