OT: Left hand down?

Why do people say left hand down instead of left? We all know which way to turn the wheel to make the car go left, and it's the same in reverse. And if I'm reversing looking over my shoulder, one hand isn't on the wheel so the phrase makes no sense!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Because it avoids any uncertainty between driver's left and guider's left, if they're facing different ways, or one is looking at the other in a mirror.

Reply to
Andy Burns

There are these things called mirrors that don't require you to look over your shoulder.

Reply to
rbowman

I take it you have never steered a boat with a tiller

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even better: the little TV camera built into the rear of some modern cars which outputs a display to the car's computer screen.

Reply to
JNugent

That was line in "The Navy Lark", a radio comedy programme from the 1950s.

Reply to
charles

You ranted about the same thing in 2017. Tedious.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Why on earth would you think it was guider's left? If you're helping someone move a car, it's obviously the car you're thinking about!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Neither of those give you a full 180 degree+ view.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why would that matter? Unless the person operating the boat didn't know how to steer a boat, you're just telling them to move the boat left.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Which was never meant to be taken seriously!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

My new car has one of those. It comes in very handy to make sure I don't run over the damn cat. For an animal supposed to be cleanly he loves to roll in the driveway dirt.

Reply to
rbowman

really?

Reply to
charles

Which people say "left hand down"? How is it used in practice?

I have never heard that phrase.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 10:37:40 -0600, rbowman posted for all of us to digest...

Whadda yu mean mirrors? Whaddar day?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 14:04:35 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us to digest...

Me neither...

Reply to
Tekkie©

I never heard it either.

Reply to
micky

The only thing I can think of is from the old days. There was a time when drivers used hand signals to signal left, right, or stop with their left hands. That might still be legal but I don't remember anyone using them.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Not only are hand signals still legal, but a road test examiner may ask you to at least demonstrate one or more signal or recognize one or more signal as part of the test.

Keep in mind that drivers are required to signal their intention to turn, slow or stop. If that can't be accomplished with vehicle's equipment, then hand signals must be used. Not just legal, but the law.

Some people say that you should use hand signals in bright sunlight, bumper to bumper traffic and any other situation where your turn signals might be hard to see.

Kids should be taught to use hand signals while they are riding a bicycle as soon as they are proficient/confident enough to ride with one hand. You might be surprised to hear that the NHTSA adds a 4th hand signal for bicyclists (Alternative Right Turn) and also allows either arm to be used for slowing or stopping.

Marilyn Manson

I thought it was invented by the BBC for the Navy Lark. However it actually makes moor since on a bike or in an aircraft where you lean into a turn. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa