OT Land of the free?

Now you've done it. Better hope Rand Paul doesn't see that or he'll have another earth shattering hypothetical constitutional crisis question that's worthy of a filibuster.

But I think you'd agree this whole thing is much ado about nothing. The reason drones are being used to take out terrorists overseas is that we don't have the means to capture those terrorists and bring them to justice. We don't have FBI agents or police on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere in Sudan or Pakistan. And in many cases if we tried to go through the process of using the local authorities, the terrorist would be long gone, very possibly tipped off by those same authorities. Still, we have clearly used the capture route, when possible. We've captured a whole host of terrorists and brought them to justice when it was possible.

Any terrorists in the USA, domestic or foreign, have been dealt with via the legal system. Not one has been taken out by say a sharp shooter, shot on sight, etc. I can't even think of one that was killed while being apprehended, or anything of the sort. And a very good reason we want them alive is that clearly it's far better to then interrogate them and get valuable information. Everyone knows this, except apparently for Rand Paul....

I agree, yet we didn't do it. But now, because it's Obama, the loons want to think the rules have suddenly changed. If any president had info that someone like McVeigh was in the process of working on another attack, to kill more people, and we had a drone and no other assets in the area, it was likely he could get away, you can damn well bet they'd use the drone to take him out, enemy combatant or not.

If you want to get your shorts all up in a knot over issues like this, there are far more relevant ones that are actually occuring. For example, when the police in CA had Dorner cornered in a house, there is videotape evidence of the police discussing early on setting the house on fire. Ultimately they apparently did that by launching tear gas cansisters into the house. Tear gas canisters that are known to frequently result in fires. You could make the case that it was unjustified. I mean it's hard for me to believe that a tear gas canister can't be made today that won't set a house on fire, right? Isn't that taking the suspects life needlessly when he could be brought to justice?

Or just a couple weeks ago, there was a story in the news about a police dept potentially using unnecessary lethal force. They had a depressed guy that was threatening to kill himself with a gun and someone called the police. He never pointed the guy at anyone, including the police. After a standoff with the police, he announced he was leaving. As he tried to walk off, the cops shot and killed him. The justification was that they didn't know what he would later do and he might be a threat to others..... Now that is real and sure seems to me like a far more serious issue than conjuring up images of Obama firing drone missles into cafes in US cities.

Reply to
trader4

# # But only guilty after the crime. # Too late by then.

You mean like riding the subway and getting shot for it ?? Why don't you clean up your own backyard first. ?.

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Your legal system is base on ours. Of late your system is becoming more fascist. Eg Guantanamo Bay. Drones. etc

Reply to
harry

An illegal immigrant. Nobody knew who he was. He looked muslim (brown)

Reply to
harry

none of which changes the fact that the NRA sees the victims of mass shootings as acceptable collateral damage to the 2nd amendment

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

at least, that's what they want you to believe

And a very good reason we want them alive

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

*I* believe the rare mass killings are the price we have to pay for liberty. Indeed these killings are regrettable, but not nearly as bad as the alternatives.
Reply to
HeyBub

Quite wrong.

Reply to
harry

OK so long as it's no-one in your family eh?

Reply to
harry

Got a link that shows the NRA showing any real compassion for the victims without trying to make gun owners as the victims? Got a link that shows the NRA offering anything more constructive than "enforce existing gun laws better"?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

So, that is a no to original question and rather blatant attempt to change the conversation. I'd give it about 3.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Right. Loyalty to my family ranks slightly above liberty.

Reply to
HeyBub

And there you have the problem.

Reply to
harry

you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected president. I will be here to remind you when it happens.

The purpose of fighters is to defend (offend) against other aircraft. The purpose of drones is to offend (attack, but more importantly spy on) people on the ground. Big difference.

Amazingly, lefties hated Bush for tracking phone numbers but *love* Obama for reading your email, watching your banking transactions, and peeping into your back yard.

Reply to
krw

you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected president. I will be here to remind you when it happens.

Messiah Obama could rape an infant on national TV and The Commiecrats would give him a pass and just blow it off as nothing. Like the time Clinton committed perjury and his worshipers said "He was only lying about sex, big deal." o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

like you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected presiden t. I will be here to remind you when it happens.

Tch, you exaggerate Duf. Obama is nowhere near as bad as Bliar. Our present incumbent is turning out to be a bad egg too I suspect.

Reply to
harry

you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected president. I will be here to remind you when it happens.

Let's get rid of all the scoundrels and start over. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

like you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected president . I will be here to remind you when it happens.

They are not limited to engaging other fighters. They are used for tactical strikes against targets on the ground too.

Then how is the drone different than an SR71, U2, satellites, etc? Or any manned aircraft that I could charter to take aerial photos?

The whole Rand Paul thing was over whether a drone could be used at some point in a hypothetical case, to kill a US citizien, on US soil. Holder had already told Paul that under extraordinary circumstances, like another Pearl Harbor or 911, it might be. Under those conditions, if a fighter aircraft was better situated at the moment, it could and would be used, just like the drone. And I think we all know that any president would do it, if it were necessary, under extraordinary circumstances.

And what's the difference with a drone flying over someone's house and taking pictures with the FBI or local police using the house across the street to take photos with long range cameras? They have been doing that for years, with no special authorization, as part of investigations.

I'm not sure they love it, but they aren't very openly bitching about much of it, ie Gitmo, drones, etc either.

Reply to
trader4

There is no technical reason that drones cannot be used to offend/defend against other aircraft and there are many reasons that they will be used in that function

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

you were with Bushy as soon as another Republican is elected president. I will be here to remind you when it happens.

Not when patrolling US airspace.

SR71s, U2s, and satellites are too expensive for the local sheriff's Fife to peek over our privacy fence.

See above.

No, he hadn't clarified the circumstances.

Any President worth shit would violate the law under those circumstances. Take the heat for saving lives later.

Good grief. There is some expectation of privacy for all of the other people who are under the flight path, who have *not* had that removed by some judge in the cops' pocket.

Sure they do. They love him and will at least excuse everything he does.

Reply to
krw