OT -- keeping old floppy disks

You may already be shit outta luck already. Transfer any data you need NOW, floppies have a very short shelf life.

And yes, destroy them after you get the data.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Sadly I don't think I can use those in anything :-( They were probably current-tech around '92 or so, as I remember I had a PC which came with eight of them that year (and which I upgraded to 8MB at some ridiculous expense - I bet I still have the receipt somewhere).

Most of the stuff I'm interested in is much older - although I do have a couple of PCs in overseas storage that are mid-90s (kept because their floppy controllers will handle the FM density typical of old floppies, which PCs normally aren't capable of reading)

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I'll get right on it, and do what I can. For some reason, IIRC, when I got my last machine, I got a CD burner for it, and transferred a lot of my data to CD/RW.

Makes me wonder what I had several years ago, that might even be relevant to today? Resume for jobs that I no longer care about. I'm worrying about things that don't make any difference? Wouldn't be the first time, I'm sure.

.

You may already be shit outta luck already. Transfer any data you need NOW, floppies have a very short shelf life.

And yes, destroy them after you get the data.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

responded within 15 minutes and took them all.

Reply to
Paul MR

responded within 15 minutes and took them all.

Reply to
Paul MR

Yep. There is no reason to screw around with CDs when hard disks are so cheap.

Reply to
krw