OT: Is this doctor dumb?

A friend of mine who's 75 lives in NC, but frequents NJ, where his daughter lives and where he still has his doctors. He was recently on antibiotics for a week and developed increasing indigestion and the really bad diarrhea. So, he calls up his gastro doc in NJ, on Monday, for an appointment, discusses it with him. The doc tells him he may have C-Diff, he gives him an appointment for Friday.
OK, so he's getting worse, passing blood now too. So, I google for C-Diff and it's really serious. It's a bad bacteria that can take over when antibiotic wipes out the good bacteria. Older people and people with compromised immune systems are most susceptible. Friend was also diagnosed with MS and has been taking a drug for that that screws with your immune system. He's had MRSA, the drug resistant staph infection, twice. And C-Diff kills about 6% of people diagnosed with it.
So, isn't this doctor stupid? To diagnose this you need a stool test. He suspects he may have it, if he does, it's very serious, life threatening, why not order the stool test right away, he could have the results by now or certainly by Friday. Instead, he's going to show up Friday and you pretty much know the doc is then going to just listen to him, take his blood pressure and temp and tell him he needs to get the test. If he got the test on Mon or Tues, he'd have the results BEFORE the visit and the longer the delay, the greater the risk of hospitalization or death. I told him yesterday to just go to a walk-in doc or the ER, but he's on his way up here now instead. His doc doesn't have office hours tomorrow. I told him to get a hold of the doc and get the doc to order the freaking test.
Is this just me or is this just nuts? While some docs order all kinds of tests, partly to protect themselves, others seem incapable of exercising common sense and quickly ordering a simple, inexpensive test that could save someone's life. And seems to me another example of what drives up healthcare costs. If this isn't treated quickly, the chance he winds up in the hospital for weeks goes up.
On 4/10/2019 9:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Sounds dumb to me. If you suspect, get the test asap and know for sure.
I see my doctor twice a year. He orders blood tests a week before and at the visit he will discuss the results if needed to do anything. Doing the routine test later seems a waste of time.
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 10:20:19 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wow, interesting. My doc that I've been going to for decades, they draw blood there, I get the results a week later, with some things circled, like cholesterol, and her comments. "lose weight! diet!) It would be much better to do the routine stuff first, like your doc does. The advantage I guess to doing it in the office is if you're having some problem and they need to test for that, they can do it with the same blood draw. But if you're just going for a routine visit, your doc's way makes more sense.

Mine used to do it the way Ed's does it except that he gives me the test order on the previous visit and it lasts for a year so it works fine for me to get the test done a week before the next appointment so he has the results in front of him when I see him.
But that practice now has someone who takes bloods in the surgery so you normally get the blood taken just after seeing the doctor. There are a couple of obvious problems with that approach. The first one is that you don’t get to discuss then results with the doctor, he just calls you if the test results show anything undesirable.
And the other problem is that we do fasting blood tests, nothing to eat or drink other than water before the test. I used to show up at the hospital or the other operation that does the blood tests first thing in the morning without eating anything. The new system means that it isnt really that feasible to do that, always get the doctors appointment first thing in the day and even then, its much later than the blood test can be done. The first appointment is is after 8:30am whereas pathology at the hospital starts at 7:30
On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 06:59:13 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

    I'd say go to an ER. Collect a stool test and start him on vancomycin (suspend it if exams come back negative). It's what we would do here under our lowly State medicine.     I'm current suffering from Dengue fever. Me and another +- 40 people in the neighborhood. Our new "sinister of health" is a general who says that doctors learning "discipline" is a priority, (nice neat white uniforms and learning to march). They've cut most of the funding for the anti Aedes aegypti teams.     My fever is finally going down, so if I'm going to start bleeding it'll be in the next few days.     Hope the old guy recovers.     As to the doctor, he probably has insurance. We don't in Brazil, so we can't afford to get it wrong.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 11:05:13 AM UTC-4, Shadow wrote:

Thanks for confirming my thinking. I recommended he go to the ER last night, when he told me he was starting to pass blood too. He's on Medicare, IDK how much they pay for ER, etc. He's better today, at least so far, currently driving on his way up here. He;s going to call the doc, see if he can get him to authorize the test so he can get started on that before Friday.
On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 11:05:13 AM UTC-4, Shadow wrote:

So, update. My buddy went to his gastro doc on Thur, went to the lab to get the test kit and submitted the test same day. He got the results today from the doc, it's C Diff. He just started Vancomycin. I guess that's good news and bad news. Good news that he knows what it is and it's finally being treated and it's not more tests and something worse. Bad news is that at least a week was wasted and we don't know how it will turn out.
On Mon, 15 Apr 2019 14:24:28 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

    He survived a week, and his symptoms did not get worse, and Vancomycin kicks in pretty fast, so he'll probably be OK.     Yesterday was my last day of fever. So I'm looking out for signs of low platelets. None so far. Looks like I'll survive too. Thanks for asking.     :)     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 4/10/2019 9:59 AM, trader_4 wrote:

In addition to going to the ER and getting tested for C-Diff, he should seriously consider finding a new gastroenterologist. C-Diff is serious enough in a younger person without suppressed immunity. For your friend, a week's delay in diagnosis (and treatment) could be lethal.
trader_4 posted for all of us...

You know that antibiotics can cause these exact symptoms?
I am allergic to Erythromycin. Did he look at the info that came with Rx?
A prescription without diagnoses is malpractice.
All my labs are done prior to the croakers visits.
--
Tekkie

On Thursday, April 11, 2019 at 1:25:08 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:

Yes, I agree that the meds he was taking could cause diarrhea. It's one of the common side effects. However once the symptoms got worse, he stopped taking them and that's been over a long time, probably about two weeks now. You'd think he'd be getting better by now, not worse?
Latest is he got to the gastro doc today, doc doesn't think it's C-diff, but agrees with your assessment. He's going to the lab to submit a test sample, won't have the results until Monday.