OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

Actually, the next owner was the dealer who took it in trade. "Honda" sells its cars to dealers who in turn sell them to the end user/consumer.

If your traded car was in good shape, he probably detailed it and stuck it on his used car lot. If not in good shape, he wholesaled it, most likely to an auction house. If it was a real dog, it went to the crusher, then sold for scrap.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Be helpful and don't be an a******.

Reply to
babsybutler

Hey SBH, You didn't read what OP wrote. He filled out those cards 3 times. Nothing changed. What do you think he can do next? And before you say, "Call the manufacterer" read again. He called them, and will again, but nothing changes...

Reply to
karlplds

I suppose he could run a CarFax on it but my guess is it was never titled again after he gave it to the insurance company and it was sold for the melt weight of the steel. He is the last person who legally owned it and nobody listed it as scrapped. Just throw the recalls away along with those "You may have already won" envelopes. It's not like our mailboxes are not stuffed with trash anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is how to STOP receiving vehicle recall notices on vehicles you no longer own.

  1. Check with the DMV to make sure you are NOT still connected to this vehicle. I suggest doing this with EVERY state you have owned a vehicle in.
  2. Fill out the card included in recall notice - stating that you no longer have the vehicle. Attach any submitting documentation. I keep copies of the title of every vehicle I have sold - the copy includes ALL signatures (buyer/seller, etc.). Make a copy of the card you filled out.
  3. If receive another recall notice - again fill out card and state that this is the 2nd request - attach the 1st request and mail.
  4. Receive another recall notice - write ?RTS - Refused - NO longer have vehicle?. This can ONLY be done if the envelope is NOT opened and if the mailer is first class/presorted first class.
  5. Contact Equifax and R.L Polk - these two Data companies compile DMV records. NOTE: Polk is the parent company of Carfax - May also go by - IHS Automotive, Driven by Polk, and as IHS Inquire about the info they have listed for you and ask to opt out!
Reply to
Remove Me

May 13, 2021 Migawd, it's almost 5 years since this thread was started and it's still active because of people who are being harassed endlessly about the Takata airbag recall. I'm another of those unfortunate souls being stalked and harassed by Toyota -- just got their latest today. So today I called for the 4th time the number they gave and explained that the car in question was totaled in 2017 and the agent, as before, said she would pass the info on to Toyota.

What a curious situation. Toyota not only is obtuse and clueless, they also are quite creative. Each new recall notice is packaged in a new way: business envelope; business envelope with urgent-sounding wording on the cover; flat 8-1/2 x 11 envelope that looks like it might be something important; one of those tear-on-the-sides envelopes so you really have to work to see what's inside.

Sounds like fodder for a Saturday Night Live skit. I'll now try turning my annoyance into some sort of game: trying to guess when the next envelope or text message will arrive; ceremoniously burning each one; or, best of all of course, just ignoring the whole thing. Good night and good luck.

Don

Reply to
Don Graydon

Ford is just as bad. First they harassed me for some time and shame on me for not just getting the airbag replaced. The dealer must be making a bunch of cash to be making such an effort. Well I sold the car to my daughter and now they harass her. Now she sold it, (thankfully without anyone being injured by the airbag) so hopefully the chase will continue to the next owner who may or may not get it replaced.

Reply to
Rick Dockstader

I haven't owned a Honda Civic in the recall for 10 YEARS and I'm still getting notices almost every week. I've sent the card back at least a dozen times. I've written across the thing not to contact me. I've added extra pages with a letter. I've done everything possible. Their behavior should be considered criminal as they're harassing people with no end in sight.

Reply to
Chris Suarez

Look on the bright side. These "recall" notices brought you all

Reply to
Mikey B

Reply to
Mikey B

Just throw it in the trash with the rest of the junk mail. My guess is you were the last registered owner in the US and NHTSA doesn't have access to the DMV records in Mexico or Haiti where the car ended up.

Reply to
gfretwell

This is a problem for me as well. I owned a car for about three years. Sold it to someone in Canada. I have been getting recall notices for it the last 14 YEARS. I get at least two per month, in both Spanish and English. I used to get calls also but those stopped several years back. The letters make my blood boil at this point -- because I have tried so very hard to correct the record and have been told it will continue indefinately. I have called the numbers many times. Ford says we are the last US people on record for the car, so they are required by law to send us at least two notices per month, and this will never stop. I have given Ford documentation that proves a sale. I have given them proof from the DMV (where they claim they get this info) that we are not associated to this car and haven't been for 14 years. I have jumped through all their hoops and am constantly told that they have "made a note of it." BUT THERE IS NO MECHANISM TO STOP THESE LETTERS. I consider it harassment at this point. Yes, I can throw them away. I do. I also send them back as Refused / Return to Sender. I have done everything under the sun to make this stop except pay an attorney. It shouldn't bother me, but it does. Is there any govenment official I can write to that would help?

Reply to
delin wareham