OT - How Do I Stop Getting Recall Notices On A Vehicle I No Longer Own?

In this neck of the woods, recalls are handled by the manufacturer, sent to the last "owner of record" (purchase records kept by the manufacturer).
They don't get notices from DMV when the registered owner changes (and in this state, its the new buyer that must register and transfer the title, the seller must only file a release-of-liability with the DMV).
On Tuesday, July 5, 2016 at 1:44:45 PM UTC-4, Scott Lurndal wrote:

They may not get notices from the DMV, but AFAIK, they are required to find out who the registered owner is. This can be done through the DMV.
According to the NHTSA website "Within a reasonable time after the determination of a safety defect or noncompliance, manufacturers must notify, by first-class mail, all registered owners and purchasers of the affected vehicles. ... Names of vehicle owners are obtained from State motor vehicle offices."
I bought the vehicle used from an independent used car dealer. The recall notices come from Honda, so at some point they were able to determine that I was the registered owner via some method other than "purchase records kept by the manufacturer". I can only assume, based on the wording at the NHTSA website that they obtained my name from my state's DMV. The question on the table is:
Why have they ignored my multiple attempts to inform them that I am no longer the registered owner?

It's the same here. Surrendering the plates (or transferring them to a different vehicle) serves as the release-of-liability with the DMV.

Here, the plates stay with the vehicle, unless they're personalized.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

My thought is to make an appointment with the dealer to get it fixed. See if they have a VIN record on it. Call them late before or early on the appointment day and tell them it is broken down and has to be towed in. Give then an address of a vacant lot in the industrial district with overgrown weeds. When they can't find it just reply that's where it was the last time you saw it X years ago; that's if they find out you're the owner. Or the addy of the scrapyard. If they threaten you tell them to talk to your lawyer. I'd also call the NHTSA and report them; you are worried about others safety... Have some fun.
--
Tekkie

On Mon, 4 Jul 2016 17:51:31 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

If you're afraid they won't notify you reliably, I'd be glad to put it on my calendar for every 6 months and send you an email.
Meantime, don't drive under any more trees.
On Monday, July 4, 2016 at 8:51:42 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

pany.

pany

he

140663

I know it's been a year since the original question here was asked....and I have read through the comments but it turns out no one here was able to an swer a legitimate question asked by a poster.
I'm coming across this because I've been facing the exact same problem. I'v e been receiving the same recall letters about the Takata Airbags from Hond a weekly....and it's been TWO YEARS since I sold my Honda so yes, I've been receiving these notifications FOR TWO YEARS going on three. I'm getting re al tired of disposing/shredding them and I think my shredding machine agree s. Theses letters have been evolving too over time and come in all shapes a nd sizes. They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx shippi ng envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notification to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?
So Derby, if you ever come across this, please I'd like to know if you were able to get a solution to this mailing issue.
Thanks.
(PS. the one comment about moving and not telling the post office cracked m e up hard but seriously....I would consider it.)

Dunno where you are, but here, there's a tear-off on the title that you send in to inform the DMV that you no longer own the vehicle. If you didn't do that and nobody else tried to register it, you're the documented owner. The car vendor can't do that. It's your responsibility.
After this long, it may not make any difference anyway.
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 2:14:11 AM UTC-5, mike wrote:

company.

new

company

rent

It works a little bit differently here....but the DMV here doesn't associat e me with the vehicle anymore.
It's on record I was a previous owner (I have called and inquired) but of c ourse, they are bound by the law not to disclose to me the current owner bu t they did tell me the VIN was no longer registered to the state here by th eir records. Also, the tags I had on the Honda have been returned and the r egistration terminated. Another confirmation is if I was still on record wi th the DMV as the owner of this vehicle in my state, I would've been hunted down already for the non-renewal of the registration and a lapse in insura nce (Like I said it's been two years going on three).
The issue is with Honda. I'm not sure how their system works....but I've go ne the route of opening a case and all that like the previous poster. That did absolutely nothing.
On 12/20/2017 3:28 AM, Bryan wrote: ...

I've no information on what Honda did/has done/is doing, but if it bugs you so much to actually really want to do something other than just continue to throw them away, I'd start by asking the local dealership service manager if he has way to get the info into the system.
Failing that, are they required to be first-class mail or are they just bulk mailings? If 1st-class, refuse delivery and write "No longer own subject vehicle" or such on the envelope; USPS has to return it to sender if is. If is just bulk mail this doesn't work, of course.
So, last resort, send registered mail with all the info and see if that would get a human's attention.
All in all, sounds like much more trouble than just ignoring them would be...

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 19 Dec 2017 21:16:00 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

If your sister tells you to take your car in for airbags, you should do it. She's your big sister, she loves you, and you should mind her.
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 1:41:34 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

I'm not sure if you read my original post or the overall post for which all these comments are being made but if you didn't, you should.
These notifications are about a Honda vehicle I had TWO-THREE YEARS AGO. I have an entirely different car now...and no. It's not a Honda either.

Send them an official-looking notarized letter saying you hereby release them from any and all liability provided they send you a check for $250 ;-)
--
I don't lie to myself, and I don't hold on to a loser.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 15:30:25 -0500, Bobby Axelrod

Just contact the manufacturer (by registered letter if you like) stating you no longer own the vehicle and how it wasdisposed of (traded in or sold privately) with the name and address of the recipient of the vehicle,
On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7:30:02 PM UTC-5, Clare Snyder wrote:

company.

e new

company

rrent

at the

564B140663

rd

ths

ey

ll

ed

ssume

don't

p.

my

of

and I have read through the comments but it turns out no one here was able to answer a legitimate question asked by a poster.

. I've been receiving the same recall letters about the Takata Airbags from Honda weekly....and it's been TWO YEARS since I sold my Honda so yes, I've been receiving these notifications FOR TWO YEARS going on three. I'm getti ng real tired of disposing/shredding them and I think my shredding machine agrees. Theses letters have been evolving too over time and come in all sha pes and sizes. They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx s hipping envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notifica tion to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?

were able to get a solution to this mailing issue.

ked me up hard but seriously....I would consider it.)

;-)

I did that already. Twice. Even opened a case with a case number. And I did these within the first year of receiving these notifications after the car was sold. They swore to me the changes have been made and that I wouldn't receive any more letters. Well...it's been a year and a half after that pro mise and sitting in front of me as we speak is a FedEx shipped letter of th e same notification received this week.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 20 Dec 2017 22:00:36 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Please allow 84 weeks for shipping and handling.

You seem to have missed my post a few lines above....
--
I don't lie to myself, and I don't hold on to a loser.

On Thursday, December 21, 2017 at 5:04:40 PM UTC-5, Bobby Axelrod wrote:

:

ce company.

the new

on company

current

that the

18564B140663

he

the

the

card

onths

They

tell

ed a

ened

s.

assume

I don't

elp.

f my

n of

..and I have read through the comments but it turns out no one here was abl e to answer a legitimate question asked by a poster.

em. I've been receiving the same recall letters about the Takata Airbags fr om Honda weekly....and it's been TWO YEARS since I sold my Honda so yes, I' ve been receiving these notifications FOR TWO YEARS going on three. I'm get ting real tired of disposing/shredding them and I think my shredding machin e agrees. Theses letters have been evolving too over time and come in all s hapes and sizes. They've gone from regular #10 envelopes to the large FedEx shipping envelopes delivered at my doorstep. They've even emailed a notifi cation to MY SISTER WHO LIVES IN ANOTHER STATE. Like what the hell?

ou were able to get a solution to this mailing issue.

acked me up hard but seriously....I would consider it.)

ase

50 ;-)

did these within the first year of receiving these notifications after the car was sold. They swore to me the changes have been made and that I would n't receive any more letters. Well...it's been a year and a half after that promise and sitting in front of me as we speak is a FedEx shipped letter o f the same notification received this week.

I think I was trying to respond to someone else that said "call them to cha nge the info they had on file" which I've done already and the posts got mi xed up...
But hey....lol. Even I can do what you suggested, get $250 AND end this bom bardment of unnecessary notifications, I'd be about that life!
On 12/20/2017 12:16 AM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I used to think junk-mail was bad...then I met today's robodialer.  Good grief!