OT: Grinder speed

I have a cheap, Chicom, high speed grinder. Surprisingly, at full speed it runs smoothly, without vibration. The question is, can these types of motors (not just the Chinese ones, you wise guys) be safely regulated with a rheostat? I don't always want that kind of speed which could overheat a thinner piece. Thanks for tolerating the OT question.

Reply to
C & E

Not likely, IMO. It would depend on quite a few unknowns about the motor whether it could run at lower sustained voltages without burning up, how the speed is determined (windings, syncro or asyncro, etc) and many other things. Nearly any inductive type motor will burn up usng a rheostat to change its speed unless it was specifically designed that way.

Instead of a rheostat you'd probably need an electronic control instead.

Reply to
Twayne

no

Reply to