OT Fixing my glasses

I have one lense screw which keeps backing out, which in turn my one lens will pop out. I know the easiest way to fix them would to get new frames, unfortunately I'm one of those that must meet other obligations first. Any ideas how to keep the screw from backing out? I tried new screws, but even those back out.

Thanks

Reply to
Uncle

You have to work quickly to pull this off. Add a drop of super glue to the hole screw in the screw and let it sit for 30 minutes or so before wearing.

I swear it works but if you get the glue on the lens you are the screwed one.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

A bit of clear finger nail polish on threads and quickly tighten. If you use super glue optician may not to be able to remove screw if you break or need to change a lens. Anyway it works for me. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

A small bottle of Loctite brand thread secure stuff will do the trick well. Til then you could run the screw in and coat the screw head with some fingernail polish to keep it from moving for a day or two. (lacquer paint or whatever)

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Go back to where you bought the glasses and ask them to fix them. I've been wearing eyeglasses for over 50 years and was never asked to pay for a minor repair or adjustment.

Or put a tiny dab of glue on top of the screw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've had the same problem. Got longer screws (took them back) and a little squeeze bottle of Loctite. End of problem.

Reply to
F.H.

Of course! Use any thread locker (Locktite or Permatex) and just put a tiny amount on the threads before tightening. As a woodworker you should already have a variety of materials available. Shellac is a common material used lock screws in equipment as well as paint; white glue, carpenters glue, any finish (lacquer, varnish, etc.) can also be used. The simplest, cheapest, and fastest fix is probably fingernail polish (color is your choice).

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Wrap a small piece of thread (as in sewing) around the screw threads. Works every time. Is that why they call thread...thread????

Reply to
DennisD

End of this thread?

Reply to
Terry

Or go to the place that sold you the glasses. They will put in a linger screw with a tiny little nut on the end peen over the end of the screw and probably won't charge you a dime.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Reply to
Clark Griswold

As suggested, go to your optician and have them fix the problem. If they try to charge you, find another optician. I have quite thick lenses and have had the same problem. Clear lacquer (nail polish) worked once but was not reliable enough. A special screw with a nylon core worked very well but the last two times I need new lenses, the optician used a longer screw that can take a nut. I've never had a problem with these screws. If I think they are loosening, I just tighten them up myself.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron

If you're a redneck, you can just duct tape your glasses to your face after both ear rests are busted off.

Better yet, get your ears pierced and wire the glasses to your head permanently and splap some duck tape across the eyebrow to help hold them in place. Keeps the rain out of your eyes, too.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

You can use "Loc-Tite" (in a small red plastic bottle) or a dab of clear fingernail polish. Or, an optometrist will usually fix them for free.

Reply to
Phisherman

You could always try these:

-- One fine young lady's horse refused the fence to clear... -Jethro Tull

Fix yahoo to reply by email. IM me at katieisme67 on yahoo!

Reply to
Katie

I guess someone already had the same idea. Not something I would consider though.

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

yeah . . go to auto parts store and get some loctite and don't move the arm til stuff dries

Reply to
Playintennis5274