OT "electronic signature"

I find "electronic signature" to be a very strange thing. Since it's not really the person's signature, and since the recipient doesn't know what he should be getting, how is not easily forgeable?

I scanned my actual signature, which at least looks like my other signatures, if they've seen one.

And with other free software, I can paste into a pdf file or, I'm sure, anything that takes graphics. And the one time I did this, the recipient was satisfied.

Reply to
micky

I do the same as you. I have my sig saved as a jpg and use it when required for PDF documents.

I couldn't never understand the notion of an electronic signature since it appears anyone can say they are whomever by establishing their own ES and no proper way to prove otherwise via online. Doesn't make sense to me.

Reply to
Meanie

Well, not surprisingly, some do it my way. From efax.com "To add a electronic signature to your faxes is simple, just snap and store a picture of your handwritten signature with your device?s built-in camera. Or you can swipe your finger across your mobile screen, save your signature and your ready to add it to any fax. " (I don't understand this second method.)

But read the wikip entry on electronic signature, and it corresponds to a friend of mine who either bought or sold her house (I forget which) by their sending her a contract and her "signing" it. They sent her a choice of 4 stylized renditions of her name, and she got to pick one. Just like Wikip says. Now how is that safe?

Reply to
micky

At least a jpg signature looks like your real signature.

Reply to
micky