OT, do not call question

This FTC page says: "The government is not releasing cell phone numbers to telemarketers."

1) So how will a telemarketer know what cell phones he's not allowed to call?

2) If you wanted CreditKarma's free credit reports (from two of the three services) what would you do about the field for your mobile number, that they insist be filled in?

Reply to
micky

Cell phones have specific area codes or exchanges. Very easy to program them out.

Try a fake number. Or realize nothing is really free.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There was an urban legend floating about stating that cellular numbers - similar to a phone directory - were about to be released. That's what THIS warning pertains to.

If you read closely and have reasonable comprehension, you will see that both landline and cellular phones that you enter into the Do Not Call list will be provided by the FTC to telemarketers so they know not to call. What will NOT happen is a separate list of landline and cell numbers. They are commingled in a single list.

Don't use them or give them a fake number. Is that too difficult for you to figure out?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The problem is a lot of cord cutters port their old land line number over and when a LATA is running tight they will release more landline numbers over to cell carriers.

Some of these people want to text you a secret code to register. I just tell them I don't have a phone, Email me.

Reply to
gfretwell

I use Sideline for that.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Aha!

I don't see how mixing them would slow down the spammers.

Sometimes I can lie with no trouble, but other times it's very hard. I think this time it was because I saw the ability to circulate my number as my payment for their service, but I'm convinced now that giving them the cell-phone number is too much.

I'll pick out a number and check on switchboard.com to make sure no one is using it.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

I wonder about CreditKarma. People don't spend millions of dollars (for TV advertising) to give something away. It COULDN'T really be free.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

And give an email address from one of those disappearing email sites like

Mark Lloyd

Another reason Do-Not-Call registry is ineffective is because the majority of unsolicited calls now come from overseas, where the FTC has little or no jurisdiction! They can be made to appear to come from Texas, or Massachusetts, when in reality they come from Asia or someplace else.

Reply to
thekmanrocks