OT. Dent Removal

The show Outrageous Acts of Science showed a guy removing a dent from the left rear corner of his car. He poured hot water on the corner then used a toilet bowl plunger to pull the dent out. He also had a dent on the plastic bumper. He poured hot water on it then pushed the dent our with his hands. Their explanation was that the hot water made the areas surrounding the dents want to expand. That lessened the force needed to remove the dent.
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 9:07:08 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Is there a question here?
But I can testify that yes, a toilet plunger can remove a dent on some places on a car. My dad did on my brother's car door many, many years ago. There was crease in the door not from hitting a pole or anything like that. The door panel was just depressed and the depression simply popped out using the plunger to 'grab' that area. Paint wasn't even damaged.
On 3/21/18 9:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

There is a question now that you mention it. How is it you've kept your webtv address all these years? I thought webtv shutdown years ago.
On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 9:44:11 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Sorry, I haven't been ignoring you, just now getting back to this group.
When MSN pulled the plug on webtv in 2012 everyone got an e-mail notice that they could keep their webtv e-mail address if they signed into their account at least once every 270 days.
I've had a laptop since 2004 and that's when I started posting on Usenet groups with this name. I decided to keep it and another one but use this one for posting only. One or two old webtv buddies will still contact me through this name. Most of them I gave my MSN address to.
On 3/21/2018 10:07 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

My neighbor did the same on a bumper using a hair dryer.

Different iossue with plastic bumper and steel door. Heat softens the plastic, allowing it to flex more easily and reducing the likelihood of cracking.
Popping dammage out of steel door is possible if there is no "crease" or stretching of the steel. The plunger often works even without the heat. Hot water to warm up the steel completely, then application of dry ice will often cause a dent to pop right out without a plunger (particularly on smaller dents) because the dry ice shrinks the outer skin of the steel faster than the back part, and the dent shrinks itself out.
On 3/21/2018 10:07 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

That's been going on for years. Nowadays, they use hot glue and little pullers or long specialized tools to reach the dented area from under the car's skin.
On 3/21/2018 10:07 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

I have a plunger type dent remover, a big suction cup. Easier to get seal when wet. It will pull out a dent but not a crease if bent. I have another tool for pulling creases that is screwed through metal and banged out with a weight on the screw. Body filler is needed afterwards.
Plastic would be another story and depend on plastic. Plastic usually breaks and fiber glass like on a Corvette just shatters.
Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

IDK does it pull the redi-mix out?
--
Tekkie