[OT] Communicating without grid power

I know that package!

Reply to
Diesel

I don't know much about the alternator. A junkyard guy said it was a nice one and charged me $20 for it. I got it for something else and never used it. Then I had the idea of using it on a pressure washer someone gave me when the pump went bad. I use the little UPS battery, just to tickle the alternator to get it going. I imagine a big capacitor would work for that too. It was a common trick on old Triumph choppers to get rid of the battery and lower the seat.

Reply to
gfretwell

===============

===============

Does anyone use CB radio anymore? I guess I could plug one of those into my generator and talk until the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate highway so we might be able to connect to a truck passing by.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

plug one of those into my generator and talk until the gas ran out. Maybe I should add a CB radio to my emergency supplies; we're right near an Interstate highway so we might be able to connect to a truck passing by.

I was active on CB for a lot of years. One night I got blocked by a wreck on the limited access highway. Sat for an hour and a half. Finally shut down the vehicle, got out and walked around. Sitting in the hammer lane of a 65 MPH zone.

Felt so stupid, not having a CB, the truckers all knew what was going on. I resolved to always have a CB in the vehicle.

Fewer people on CB these days. As with any open band, the info is as good as the person giving. Which might be totally mistaken info. Most or many CB operate on

12 volts, which means you can wire it in to the car, or to a marine battery.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I live in the shadow of The Great Depression (1929). Left its mark on my parents, and on myself.

. .

Reply to
tony944

You're a very resourceful and intelligent individual!

Reply to
Diesel