OT: Colorado Fire Evacuees Return To Find Property Burglarized, Vandalized

Just Americans helping fellow Americans I guess...

==================================

Waldo Canyon Fire Evacuees Return To Find Property Burglarized, Vandalized

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4)- Some evacuees from the Waldo Canyon Fire are returning home to find they were burglarized.

One couple?s car was stolen right out of their garage. Thieves also took jewelry and computers.

?It?s almost as bad as a house burned down because you feel violated. There are people out there who prey upon victims and people that are already suffering, so I feel like I?ve been hit by a train,? said Waldo Canyon Fire evacuee Linda Burton.

So far 22 homes have been reported as being burglarized while evacuees were waiting out the fire.

The evacuated neighborhoods weren?t the only ones targeted. About 60 cars were broken into while evacuees were staying in nearby hotels.

Police in Colorado Springs are still compiling crime reports and not everyone has been allowed to return home. Some 10,000 people remain evacuated. Police have not commented on whether they expect to receive more reports of burglaries or vandalism.

Reply to
Home Guy

Are you still stealing movies off the Internet?

Reply to
Oren

Yea, but I download more music than movies. But that's better than "stealing" them from the homes of Colorado fire evacuees - isin't it?

Besides, nobody's ever been charged for *downloading* anything from the net. The crime is making them available for others to download.

Reply to
Home Guy

That makes you a common thief -- there is no difference in you and those in this case.

Liar and a thief.

This is your lie, so tell it anyway you like.

Reply to
Oren

The theft of property is insurable.

Do the music or movie studios insure themselves against this "theft" that you purport I (and others) do?

Do insurance companies compensate the studio's for the "loss" of these properties?

It's a fact. Go look it up.

The obtainment of copyrighted material over the internet boils down to an infraction of a license agreement. The material is not treated as real property. The violation is performed by the person who makes the material available to others (via download, storing it on physical media and giving it to others, etc).

Don't you think it diminishes the loss that those people in Colorado have suffered when you compare breaking into their homes, destroying and stealing their property - with downloading some movies or music from the internet?

When real property is stolen, it may very well be irreplaceable.

Music and movies, on the other hand, are never really stolen (in the conventional sense) and are trivial to duplicate.

Reply to
Home Guy

is it your contention that the only thing that makes and action "theft" is if the stolen item is insured?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

You imagine pink fairies and flying purple elephants, too, but seldom anything real.

Reply to
krw

Maybe not. Those kind likely will do more crime and forget about this crime. Nobody would like my justice.... unless self defense upon yourself or for another person, you die immediately !!!! No mercy. This way there is no repeat offenders. Of course this might eliminate maybe 10,000,000 people but it will make the prisons less crowded and we won't have to feed these guys till they die like Charles Manson or the like. I think we would lessen crime a bit and make others think twice before they do the crime... and if I'm wrong, they won't get a 2nd chance.

Reply to
Doug

so I can take your dog without any fear of prosecution?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

didn't you get the news: the wasting bandwidth argument died a painful death when people started downloading songs and movies illegally

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

then explain what you think the purpose of copyright is

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

based on your definition if someone were to hack into your computer and copy every single bit of your personal data and then place it somewhere for me to peruse, I would not be guilty of any crime

explain how it would be different from stealing a book from a bookstore

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds