OT: Car batteries

Consumer's Reports likes the Walmart brand of battery. I have purchsed 3 over the years to replace OEM batteries and been very happy with them.

Reply to
hrhofmann

David Nebenzahl wrote in news:4b086117$0$4060 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com:

Prolly.

Reply to
Red Green

The OP wrote ......... in part.

" Think I've been had by my nabe mechanic. Would appreciate your wisdom about battery brands and prices".

Figuring that say 10% was tax? $175 minus 10% tax = $157, Businesses are required by law to pay tax!

New battery around $100, probably a pretty normal battery but unless one 'shops around', spending perhaps half an hour personally and a few dollars worth of gas, for a good price and is knowledgeable of which post on the battery can fit where (Not all batteries can be physically fitted both ways around)! Any 12 volt battery is not necessarily the

12 volt that will automatically fit your vehicle)! So something in the region of $100 is not out of range.

So 157 minus 100 = $57

And if someone has not got the ability or knowledge to SAFELY change a battery or the ability to measure the charging voltage by having the appropriate tools, skills and a willingness to get hands and perhaps some clothing dirty, might take around half an hour when all said and done, then paying a mechanic or someone knowledgeable is appropriate and safest.

Finally disposing of the old battery, which while it may have a scrap value of a few bucks, is heavy, messy and will take somebody time and space to handle. Costing several bucks? Remembering too it's full of acid so there may be environmntal considerations?

Overall considering that the OP apparently doesn't have the ability or skill to do the standard checks and does not have the know how to change the battery themselves a charge of around $50, in this day and age is possibly not too far out of line.

In this family we do all such repairs ourselves. And yes we could probably pull off such a replacement for around $100 or less. But if one pays someone else then they are entitled IMHO to a fair profit on a) The product (same as if one bought a sweater form Wal-Mart). And b) For their know how and skills, use of their tools and premises etc.

Personally I have theory that one CAN do many self-repair, do it yourself projects, home building or rpair jobs for one half or less than a contracted out job. And sometimes for a cost one third of brand new, provided one has carefully kept and stored suitable used or second hand items.

All these have to be within one's capabilities and skills of course, and one also takes responsibiity for any any follow up or, as it were 'warranty' of one's own work! Let's see; today, I repaired a halogen lamp (had spare halogen bulb on hand and made a note to get more to be kept in the 'bulb' cupboard), drilled some combustion holes in another steel burning barrel (the old one is deteriorating fast and will go the metal recycle next time am there). Unloaded and burnt some twigs and litter from our second property, removed nails from some (free) reusable two by eight and two by ten, pieces of lumber and stacked it outside. Some of four inch hot galvanized nails will be reusable! Yesterday replaced one of the fluorescent T10 tubes in the workshop (again we had a spare on hand) etc. etc. This summer repainted outside of house, rebuilt the lawn mower (have enough used parts to build a second one for my relative).

I'm 76 btw.

Reply to
terry

One thing that wasn't mentioned by the original letter writer. He referenced the repair shop as the "nabe" repair shop. Does that mean that this shop does all his repairs? If all his repairs are done in this shop and the owner is reliable, knowledgable, trustworthy and honest it might pay to 'overpay' for a battery. After all, when you're stuck in your driveway or in the supermarket parking lot it won't be Sears or Advanced Auto Parts that comes to get you started or towed back to the shop for repairs. However if the letter writer does not use this repair shop then he should have shopped for the best buy.

Reply to
Sanity

Lets take a different look at that. Change the wording to "Business are required to charge the customers tax, on behalf of the government. They remit the money to government as a requirement, to be granted the privilege for being in business." I'm in business. I do not pay any sales tax when I do work for people. I collect the money from my customers, and send it in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm with you. The garage needs markup and labor charges, to stay in business. Is it reasonable? Well, have to compare to other shops in your own area.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

-snip-

You'll be happy to hear that GM kept the tradition alive in their/my

2001 Impala. There is even a factory loop installed on top of the engine to hook your come-along to.

Up side is that I changed them in 2006 at about 100K - and wouldn't have except my mechanic was telling me a horror story about a car they had that had a plug that got corroded and bonded itself to the block. Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Good tradition. Like my 89 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer, where you have to take the wheel off, to get at the #5 spark plug. One time I got a five plug tune up at the dealership "it's in there pretty tight and we didn't want to break it". Next tune up, I did myself and #5 was actually rather loose, and spun out no problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do these have the Walmart name on them? Or are they the same as those sold by Sam's Club (often next door)? -- currently branded "Energizer."

A 3-yr replacement/8-yr prorated Group 34 battery is $69.xx at Sam's Club.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

You got $crewed. In Southern Cal all you need is a standard Walmart Everlast battery. They last just as long as Diehards.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I agree...You got screwed....Did he atleast give you a kiss afterward ?? LOL... ; ) ....I always use Interstate Megatron Plus...About 120...Free install or DIY (regardless of brand) at local shops and most all auto parts stores around here.......Here in Maine the temps rountinley drop to 10-20 F below zero in the winter...Cheapo batteries don't cut it up here........I bought an Interstate MegaTron Plus with the most CCA I could get with BOTH top and side mounts for my '95 Silverado when I bought it a few years back....I needed the top mounts to hook up my winch for my Snowbear Personal Snowplow...

Reply to
benick

Hmm, yeah... I used to have to pull the PAS pump on my Triumphs to get to the battery (thankfully I could leave the hoses connected and haul it out of the way rather than draining the steering system...)

Reply to
Jules

Your choice - you seldom get more than you pay for, and my experience with DieHard is not great. Sure, they have a good warranty - but how many actually last through their warranty???

Reply to
clare

I'd agree on the Megatron Plus. Best battery I've ever owned or sold.

Reply to
clare

You want to own a 3.8 Pontiac Trans Sport or a 3 liter Aerostar if you want fun changing plugs. (or a V8 Monza, or a 428 "Stang)

Reply to
clare

The Interstate facility in our town closed a while back. I checked on their Web site for a Group 34 battery for our car, and all that shows up is Megatron, not Megatron Plus.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Our '01 Buick's battery is under the rear bench...and it's the original Delco. (another thing that helps battery-life is energy management. If the battery is being drained (engine off) for ten minutes...the power shuts-off.)

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

More like megabullshit.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

It's not an English class, but I am aware of writing being useless if it can't be read.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Nah..You might smell bullshit but it is just your breath blowing back in your face....

Reply to
benick