OT Can't eat road kill in Penn. Why?

OT The law in Pa. prohibits people who kill deer form t aking it home and eating it? Why is that?

I'm guessing its' because too many people were finding deer and eating it when it was no longer safe to eat, and getting sick. ???

IIR there are an incredible 50 or 100,000 deer killed every year on Pa. highways.

If you call the police, they send someone out to pick the deer up, check it for safety and give it to state institutions or the poor or something like that.

Reply to
micky

That could be, but it is also a way for poachers to go after deer off season. Lure them to the road and whack 'em with the F-150 bumper.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Maybe they use it to feed the homeless, sorta like the recent geese thing.

Reply to
badgolferman

This rule or tradition also prevails in other countries where game animals (e.g. deer in Denmark, pheasants in England) are commonly killed by road traffic. The theory is that (1) such game is usually safe to eat and should not go to waste, but (2) the state should avoid incentives to drivers to kill game deliberately, so (3) passers-by may harvest road kill, but not the individuals who killed it.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You can, but I am not sure of the reporting requirements.

Maybe it's changed but I was in a car that hit one night before buck season years ago. I was in the back seat and saw the deer coming and yelled to the driver who did not respond in time. Complete broadside hit popped hood and broke radiator. We had to hitch a ride back to camp.

Car owner contacted police and game commission and was able to harvest the deer the next day. Doe was still alive and lying off side of road with broken legs.

Reply to
Frank

Yep, too many poachers were going hunting with trucks. Bad for wildlife, and creates a road hazard.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Don't have any idea on the prevalence of problems but the reasons behind it I was always told by State Game folks and veterinarians is that with deer particularly the likelihood of gut contents contaminating the meat is quite high in an accident. Not to mention, of course, the time factor before finishing dressing (particularly in warm weather) if not the actual perpetrator of the demise (and if so, that generally is last thing one is thinking of at the time)...

With care and ok circumstances it's undoubtedly going to cause no harm but it's certainly not w/o some concerns. And, of course, that there are various laws/rules depending on location complicates things from the practical endpoint.

--

Reply to
dpb

Thanks. Veryi interesting info from eveyrone.

I have a friend who doesn't want to spend several hundrred for a good fifle, but he does have a truck.

Reply to
micky