OT: automotive electrical connector loose, power window

NJ is free, state inspection stations. But you wind up paying for it in tax es. The test just reads out the OBD data. Agree that I've never seen anyt hing that shows inspection relates to highway safety. NJ doesn't care if y our wheels are falling off and your lights don't work, it's emissions only. And now that it's only that, I don't see accidents where the cause is attr ibuted to mechanical issues.

Reply to
trader_4

Or just pull up a little further and open the door.

Reply to
trader_4

Also, some states, like Texas, check for window tint. The glass needs to be able to have the tester slide over the glass and unless it's a convertible that's hot easy to do if the window can't be rolled down.

Reply to
RonNNN

That assumes the door works too! This one had a crinkle in it. EZ Pass would be the cheapest solution but I don't think it was available back then.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Free?

What, the emissions fairy pays for them and builds, staffs, and maintains the inspection stations? The taxpayers foot the bill for your "free" inspections, you ninny.

You must be one of those do-gooder/virtue-signalling liberals who believes in free college, free healthcare, and free room and board for those too lazy to work and for the broodmares who squirt out an illegitimate welfare baby a year....

Reply to
Wade Garrett

The "inspection stations" are privately owned and financed companies that do other things as well - oil change outlets and general repair garages. They used to charge $35, submitting about half to the government. Now the government pays them something like $15 per inspection - and if rhe car fails, you pay full pop for the retest. The inspection charge comes out of our gasoline taxes and licence/registration fees, apparently.

No, I am oneof those who has worked for my living since I was 14 and has never collected UI or been unemployed for more than a week in my life. I also am smart enough not to compartmentalize everyone as a liberal or a conservative, ot a commycrat or a reb.

Reply to
clare

In North Carolina the inspection is a big ripoff. At one time I had a car that was in good shape and had been going to an inspection place for several years. He hardly looked at a car, just slapped on a sticker. Went to him one year and he said his garage was full of cars to be repaired and it was raining. Told me if I wanted a sticker to scrape off the old one and put the new one on myself..I also had an old beater of a truck. It was ok to drive, but doubt it would pass a good inpsection. Same deal, the man just stuck on a new sticker with out looking at the truck.

I went to a different place that mainly worked on cars. The car I had was only about 3 years old. Nothing wrong with it. The inspector told me he could not pass it becaues it did not have a catylitic converter. I told him I bought the car new and nothing had been done to it and if it did not have the converter it was like it came from the factory. Another man there looked and told him the converter was under the hood in the engine compartment.

It was about the same with another place. They did finally have to hook up the computer with the newer cars, but that was all.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

+1.
Reply to
TimR

Another difference between north and south of the 49th, I guess.

Reply to
clare

trader_4 posted for all of us...

+1 You beat me to it.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

Not at our shop...

Reply to
Tekkie®

I never saw things as bad as you describe but I know they existed from some 'cream-puffs' we saw.

Reply to
Tekkie®