OSB "down" side

Aside from "feel", what's the reasoning behind the "down" side of OSB (vs. the "not down" side)?

Reply to
Don Y

Atraditional??

Reply to
Micky

Not sure but probably just the process of the way it is made. A roofer told me he puts the slick side down so he would not slide off. Not sure if that is the way it is suspose to be put on or not.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I'm sure its a consequence of the way its made. But, it is clearly labeled "THIS SIDE DOWN" -- as if placing it *up* would be A Bad Thing.

E.g., Plywood with different finish grades has obvious reasons why you'd want the *good* ("A") side up -- appearance.

But, the "down" side of the OSB is the smoother of the two sides. I can't believe there are sufficient imperfections (bumps) in the not-smooth side that would interfere with it fitting against .

[And, if so, the problem would be the same if on the *other* side!]
Reply to
Don Y

Don Y wrote in news:nb21do$nch$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Friction -- to keep your butt on the roof. On even a 4-pitch roof, laying it slick side up is distinctly dangerous.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So, in vertical orientations, there's no advantage to which side is "down" (in)?

Reply to
Don Y

Don Y wrote in news:nbhth5$dsl$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

What does the manufacturer recommend? I'm sure that, whatever it is, there's a reason for it...

Reply to
Doug Miller