Options to finish wall and ceiling in garage

Fix the soffit vents somehow or other. Ridge vent won't do much if there is no way for air to get into the attic.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Wow, a dedicated beer brewing house! I'm jealous.

Reading between the lines what you described (except for the brewing) was pretty much what I thought you meant, but I wasn't sure if you were dancing around the issue because you were converting the garage to an illegal rental. It happens.

If the attic has no floor you're good to go with 1/2" drywall.

RicodJour

I am also wondering if I will need to install a fan forced air vent system? Assuming my correcting the soffit vents does not solve the problem.

The condensation is so bad it forms puddles on the ground in the spring. And the garage floor does not slope to a drain. I really think the garage was an old house at one point in time. This really stinks in the winter with snow. I kept a large squeegee in the garage last winter to push the melted snow out.

Reply to
theedudenator

I agree... just running out of time!!

Reply to
theedudenator

Code doesn't require 5/8" Firecode ceiling in a detached garage with an attic over it. Code only kicks in with the ceiling rating if there is a habitable room up there.

From the IRC: HABITABLE SPACE. A space in a building for living, sleeping, eating or cooking. Bathrooms, toilet rooms, closets, halls, storage or utility spaces and similar areas are not considered habitable spaces.

If there's no heating/plumbing/windows in the attic, it's not a habitable room as far as the code requirement.

I was under the impression you were finishing the attic , if not 1/2 inch is fine.....You described the attic as a walk in with a window and I thought you were putting in a bathroom up there as you asked about MR sheetrock in a bathroom...How does one walk or store stuff in the attic with no floor ??? LOL....

Reply to
benick

There are boards laid down in the center to walk on.

Reply to
theedudenator