Opinons on AC brands Rheem, Trane, Westinghouse

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Hmmm, I am a HAM for half a century. My furnace has ECM blower motor(a DC motor) I took care of RFI concern my self with a kit. Brand of the unit is Carrier. Motor itself seldom fails, the control module does. I have 10 yr. P&L coverage but I can fix the module most likely if it fails. Another DC motor is not VS but it has speed taps like older PSC motors.
On 06/23/13 11:54 pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

It's my understanding that the manufacturers often have an interference-suppression kit that they will send free of charge, but the consumer will still have to pay somebody to install that kit if s/he is not willing or able to do it him/herself.
Perce
On Monday, June 17, 2013 6:19:40 PM UTC-7, Ashton Crusher wrote:

Maybe, instead, you should ask if you will be able to buy parts for it without having to show a state HVAC license.
On Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:38:11 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

The only thing I've ever heard anyone needing an HVAC license for is buying freon. I've never had problems in the past buying parts for DIY repairs on AC systems. I don't plan on doing anything particularly "heavy duty" in the way of repairs.
I'm going to have an A/C central heat & air conditioner unit install it's g oing to be a 3 ton unit inside & outside both being replaced my sq feet in my house is like 1100 square ft .they priced me a total of $ 6,903.00 that includes checking and sealing and replacing any ducting that is damage. Is this a good price?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Did they come look the place over before giving you an estimate? Maybe get a second estimate. Location, location, location...
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 19:55:25 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

That sounds like a pretty big unit for that size house. What else is going on? I had a similar Carrier installed here for about $5500 but I did some of the removal work myself.

I was thinking the same thing, unless he lives in an area that gets very hot.I always wonder if proper calculations are done. In my area, that size could be done with half that size.
Too big a unit will make it cooler but too humid. Uncomfortable.
On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 10:29:28 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

t's going to be a 3 ton unit inside & outside both being replaced my sq fee t in my house is like 1100 square ft .they priced me a total of $ 6,903.00 that includes checking and sealing and replacing any ducting that is damage . Is this a good price?

+1 on the 3 tons for 1100 sq ft sizing sounding wrong.
I have 40 years total experience with Ruud and Rheem, which are built by the same company. Very satisfied. I replaced the last AC when it was 24 years old. It was still working, only thing I ever had to do to it was put in a hard start kit.
On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:21:12 -0700 (PDT), trader_4

Yup I am running 3 tons in an old 1660 sq/ft house in Florida (CBS with minimal insulation and big "Miami" windows)
On 04/04/2017 10:55 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

https://www.ecomfort.com/cooling/goodman-central-air-packages.html
wrote in message
I'm going to have an A/C central heat & air conditioner unit install it's going to be a 3 ton unit inside & outside both being replaced my sq feet in my house is like 1100 square ft .they priced me a total of $ 6,903.00 that includes checking and sealing and replacing any ducting that is damage. Is this a good price?
I am not HVAC guy but the square footage do not mean anything, However it would be nice to know, Insulation, Living space in Cubic footage and house configuration with size of windows, doors ETC. Your location all of this it must be known before someone can comment to your question.

You are right - you are not an AC guy. Sadly half the guys selling AC aren't AC guys either. It would have to be a pretty special situation to require 3 tons of AC in a house with 1000 square feet of living space - and if that case exists, he will be MUCH farther ahead remedying the situations that make that gross overkill necessary. He WILL get a lot more comfort for his dollar - both installion and operating cosr.

For only 1100 square feet, you could probably get by with a couple of window AC units and space heaters :=)
--
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time or money
making it.
On 4/5/2017 7:28 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

My upper floor is just over 1,000 sq. ft. I have a 12,000 btu at one end, 6000 Btu at the other end The lower level is the same but has a utility area that I don't care to cool and an 8,000 Btu handles it just fine. I really question the need for 3 ton of cooling for the OP.
On 04/05/2017 08:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yah, if I needed 3 ton of cooling for 1100 square foot, I'd be looking for better insulation.
On 4/6/17 5:01 AM, Jax wrote:

If there's attic access, no problem for ceiling insulation. But without it, how could you improve- short of tearing the place apart?
And what about the walls in either scenario?
--
I never met anyone who didn't have a very smart child. What happens to
these children, you wonder, when they reach adulthood?

Do what all the insulation contractors up here do - cut a few vent holes in the roof- blow in the insulation, and install roof vents.
Walls can be a bit more trouble - but depending on the type and condition of the siding it is common to remove the siding, cover with 2" Styrofoam SM or equivalent, and stucco or re-side.

or closing the windows - or mabee installing a roof !!!!
My crystal ball is cloudy. I think you should pay me 20k and I'll get er done for you....