Opinions on Maytag and Whirlpool dishwashers?

Hi,

We're looking for a replacement for our dishwasher, and in particular are looking at Maytag and Whirlpool models at our local Lowes. The space where the old dishwasher was has a depth of almost exactly 24" from the back wall to the front face of the cabinet, and we have granite countertops.

The Maytag we were considering was the Model #MDBTT59AWB, and the Whirlpool was the Model #DU943PWKB.

Both say "Depth 24 inches".

Prices are about the same on both, but they have a deal through Saturday where installation of the Whirlpool is $59 (vs. their normal $160), so the Maytag looks like it's about $100 more (including installation).

Warranty on the Maytag is 1 yr labor/2 yr parts vs. 1 yr labor/1 yr parts for the Whirlpool.

Any comments on these particular models, or on Maytag vs. Whirlpool, would be appreciated. We'd like to try to make a decision this week, if we go with the Whirlpool, that installation deal ends this Saturday.

Thanks in advance, Jim

Reply to
Ohaya

Hi,

Some consumers opinions....

Both Maytag and Whirlpool have good track records with having parts and service available when needed....both make good products....you should enjoy either.

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

Personnally I would try Sears to see if they would match price. Anything goes wrong, at least around here, Sears will take care of it.

I have a 3 level Maytag dishwasher. Don't know if you are looking at their

3 level one but we like it and it was rated well by Consumer Reports. Check out the one you are consider ing in Consumer Reports at your local library. They rate dishwashers almost every year. If you are looking at a 2 level Maytag make sure it is their extra high door version otherwise you are probably looking at an old model. Extra high door means taller loading room (instead of 3rd rack).

Reply to
Art

"Ohaya" wrote in news:cOkec.1417$0h6.436@lakeread02:

The brand name doesn't really matter. Buy the features you need. If possible, get one without a bottom panel, i.e. with a taller space for dishes. In some models this space allows a third shelf, and in others the top shelf has enough height to hold dinner plates.

Also recommend checking that the model you buy has a rinse aid dispenser. Makes a big difference since this way the rinse aid is only released during the rinse cycle. And rinse aid is a wonderful thing.

Reply to
Chuckles

I just bought a Whirlpool GU1200 about a month ago and so far I have been pleased with the product. I have had various Maytag products over the years (Dishwasher, Washers and Dryers) and have had good luck with dependability and longevity but when they had problems, my experience with Maytag repair has been so bad I would not even consider buying another Maytag product.

Reply to
Marc Newman

Maytag now has factory service in many areas which solved the repair issue. No more independent repair guys if you prefer factory service. Just like GE.

Reply to
Art

Jim,

I'm probably late on this one, but thought I'd add my $.02 anyway. Be aware the Maytag isn't a Maytag any more, but a 'revamped' Admiral/Magic Chef Dishwasher. And I'm seeing too many little problems with them to be impressed. (The same is true of their washers, btw - 'Real' Maytag washers aren't being made any more, but are basically Admiral/MChef with the Maytag nameplate on the console. And I'm afraid that's not a good thing.)

I recommend the midline Whirlpool. It's a proven design that does a good job for the money. Right now I'm advising staying away from the tall-tubs. Buy a mechanical timer model, rather than electronic controls, *if* you can still find one that's not bottom of the line.

Hope that's of some help - probably worth about $.02. But I work on 'em every day, and get to see what's working and what isn't...

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

I'm a 32-year pro appliance technician, and love sharing what I've learned - in a FREE Monthly Appliance Tips Newsletter. (Back issues now posted here too!)

John 3:3

Reply to
Dave Harnish

I never had a problem with Maytag OR the revamp.

Reply to
Strangelove