OOps. Mythbusters bust more than they wanted.

They may have all been down with a cold and whacky on Nyquil (a witches brew of cold and cough drugs) A cannon would not wake them up from that.

Reply to
gfretwell

Now that I've thought about your question for a little while, I have to ask:

Why does it matter?

As long as they blow something up, I'm satisfied.

Besides, one definition of a myth is "any invented story, idea, or concept".

If anyone (even a cast member) says "A car can be split in two by a snowplow", it then becomes something for the Mythbusters to try to confirm or bust.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I am still waiting for them to see what really happens when you put air in PVC pipe and just what it takes for that mythical explosion that kills everyone in the room.

I see another C-4 experience.

Reply to
gfretwell

Ron

Yah I can just see those rocket-powered 75,500 pounds of thrust snowplows clearing the interstates Last I heard, They can do 4 lanes at once with that plow because of all the turbulence to the sides and the heat left behind

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

On 12/8/2011 1:16 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

It's not over-pressure that's the instigating event OSHA reg's are particularly concerned about and it's not a typical home shop 3/4 or

1/2" line that's going to be enough pieces to be a major issue even if one were to be broken (altho it would only take one very small piece in the right direction to take an eye).

They're mainly concerned about distribution lines in large industrial facilities and the possibility of external damage being the instigating event.

But, even though it's not a very likely problem there's really little to recommend using it even in the home shop as there's generally so little actual material the differential cost just isn't that big an issue so one might as well do it right.

Of course, if one is running a commercial or school or other shop subject to OSHA one definitely doesn't want the potential liability of ignoring the best practice standard not to mention the possible citation directly...

All in all, while it's not a major likelihood, it just isn't smart.

--

Reply to
dpb

Curves might be a minor issue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What curves ? Don't see no stinkin' curves

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Re PVC blowing up

I suppose you have not priced galvanized or copper pipe recently. When I did my shop with galvanized sch40, the pipe and fittings were well over $200 and that was several years ago. PVC would have been about $30 and you can just paste it together. I know you yankees say I should have used black iron but it rusts up too fast in Florida.

I still agree with the do it right part tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

You can buy almost 200' of 1/2" sch 40 for 200 bucks at HD. If you buy 10's.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

It is all of the elbows, reducing bushings and couplers that add up. fast. Unless you have the tools to thread pipe, you also end up buying a lot of short nipples. They "two and three dollar" you to death.

Reply to
gfretwell