One hose portable AC?

Being a bit of a dreamer, how about put the unit up high, and drain the condensate out the window?

"oh what fun it is, to drain a One... hose.... open.... AC"

sung to the tune of Jingle Bells

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Funai Electric Company, Limited is a Japanese consumer electronics company headquartered in Dait?, Osaka, Japan. Its United States-based subsidi ary Funai Corporation, Inc., based in Torrance, California, markets Funai-l icensed brands including Sylvania, Emerson Radio, Magnavox, Philips, and Sy mphonic.

Funai is the main supplier of electronics to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores , with production quantities easily topping 2 million flat-panel television s during the summertime per year for Black Friday sale, which all 2 million units easily sold-out within few minutes. Funai is the OEM providing assem bled televisions and video players/recorders to major corporations such as Sharp, Toshiba, Denon, and others. Funai also manufactures printers for Del l and Lexmark."

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

"Funai Electric Company, Limited is a Japanese consumer electronics company headquartered in Dait?, Osaka, Japan. Its United States-based subsidiary Funai Corporation, Inc., based in Torrance, California, markets Funai-licensed brands including Sylvania, Emerson Radio, Magnavox, Philips, and Symphonic.

Funai is the main supplier of electronics to Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores, with production quantities easily topping 2 million flat-panel televisions during the summertime per year for Black Friday sale, which all 2 million units easily sold-out within few minutes. Funai is the OEM providing assembled televisions and video players/recorders to major corporations such as Sharp, Toshiba, Denon, and others. Funai also manufactures printers for Dell and Lexmark."

------ My experience with Funai about a Magnavox TV/DVR/VCR, was all good. Good manual and telephone support. They even sold remote controls that I needed on ebay for $15.

Reply to
Guv Bob

bathroom door

inch hose that you run out the window.... I've got one and would never get another like it.

floor and has to drain into a pan or through a tube you have to run along the floor to outside. It's a royal pain to use. Don't even get started with one of those.

I don't believe them.

My floor model is on wheels and is a good 60+ pounds. I ended up putting mine up on bricks to get a decent size drain pan underneath. Humidity here at that time was around 50% at 90 deg F. I set it at 80 deg and condensation was 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 45 minutes.

BTW, I had wrapped the bricks in cardboard to keep from scratching the wood floor. One day I walked into the room and someone had moved the AC over a couple of feet. First thing I did was look at the bricks and sure enough, the frame was just barely on the edge of one of them. Would have been really bad if that thing had fallen on a foot, etc. It weighs at least 50 pounds.

If I end up keeping it this summer, I'll make a stand out of 2x4's, put it on rollers and fasten the stand to the unit. Also, will drill a hole in the floor and run the drain tube down and slope it out one of the crawl space vents.

In retrospect, I wish I had cut a window between studs in the wall and put in a wall unit. No benefit in my case for it to be on wheels.

Reply to
Guv Bob

I ended up putting mine up on bricks to get a decent size drain pan underneath. Humidity here at that time was around 50% at 90 deg F. I set it at 80 deg and condensation was 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 45 minutes.

CY: That's a lot of humidity.

scratching the wood floor. One day I walked into the room and someone had moved the AC over a couple of feet.

CY: Scratched the floor badly?

the frame was just barely on the edge of one of them. Would have been really bad if that thing had fallen on a foot, etc. It weighs at least 50 pounds.

CY: Wow, bad judgement on someone part.

of 2x4's, put it on rollers and fasten the stand to the unit.

CY: Now that sounds like good planning.

Also, will drill a hole in the floor and run the drain tube down and slope it out one of the crawl space vents.

CY: When someone rolls it a couple feet, the drain hose will be on the indoor floor?

the wall and put in a wall unit. No benefit in my case for it to be on wheels.

CY: We can learn from others wisdom.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Peltier?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A thermocouple makes electricity when the two ends are at different temperatures. The electronic cooler device does the opposite. It makes a difference in temperature (hot on one side, cold on the other) when DC electricity passes through it.

I have seen ads for coolers that use ice.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Per Tegger:

I'm about halfway through this thread and have not seen the issue of condensation mentioned.

I'm guessing there has to be a hose running downhill to a sink or something.

??

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Per (PeteCresswell):

Oops... Right after I hit "Send", I came upon BenDarrenBach's post.

Mea Culpa.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Yes, but Peletaire was the Brazilian soccer version.

Reply to
micky

Yeah, but I wouldn't call those miracle coolers.

I've been looking for a portable air conditioner that used a Peltier junction, but haven't found one yet. The biggest thing I've found is one of those cube-shaped motel or office fridge.

Reply to
micky

Wow. I've spent so much time on this with my friend that I'm starting to get interested too. She and I have similar housing problems. That's half the basis of our relationship.

And one of my first thoughts was how to drain the condensation. I figured I'd run a hose to the shower stall.

But someone suggested something and then I thought I'd just drill a hole to the outside. 30 years ago I accidentally drilled a 1/2" hole to the outside, T1-11, painted dark brown, and I patched it with brown latex caulk, and here it is 30 years later and I haven't noticed the hole in all these years. It really doesn't shrink or fade.

But then I remembered how the cable guy ran the cable to my upstairs bedroom. There is an overhang of about a foot, and he drilled down from the closet into the overhang. Since I don't have cable anymore, I can either use his hole or drill a new one.

One should never let anyone else do anything. Maybe keep them in a crate like a dog.

I'll bear that in mind.

Reply to
micky

Ah, you were the one who gave me the idea of drilling. But I'm on the second floor. Hard to drill down two floors.

Reply to
micky

Then just drill it straight down and put a bucket on the first floor.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Buy the person below you a pole lamp and run a hose through it! (you do a lot of worrying for a problem that may not exist)

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

BTW, last summer she used fans, and she kept count of how many bad days there were. There were 8. Unfortuately, she can't remember how she defined bad. Did that mean she needed both fans running to tolerate the heat at night, or did it mean EVEN with both fans running, she was miserable and couldn't sleep well. I told her that makes a big difference. She says she was so busy trying to keep track of the number, she forgot to remember what it meant.

Reply to
micky

replying to micky, Timothy Boone wrote: My model is p-12pe do I have to run a drain hose out the window ? Other units don't require that.

Reply to
Timothy Boone

No, you should let it drain into a large shallow pan and just let the water evaporate into the room.

Reply to
mod

I hope you are kidding. The AC removes humidity to make it more comfortable so you sure don't want to put it back.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski