One hose portable AC?

I didn't see that in the later post. I've put regular AC into a casement window, the essential difference was that I had to cut a piece of plywood to fit the open part of the window above the AC. Not hard, but it is more work and something Auntie isn't going to do herself. There are also ACs designed for casement, but they cost more too.

I guess she could buy one of those "miracle coolers" that utilize the latest breakthrough in Chinese technology. You know, like the scammers that sell the "miracle heaters", with the Amish made mantles in the winter...... I think the cooler amounts to an ice pack that you put in the freezer, then put in front of a fan in the miracle unit. Cools for just pennies a day.......

Reply to
trader_4

Pat wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes.

Reply to
Tegger

Just to add...I haven't yet (3rd season) had to drain either unit of water! They will indicate if they fill and shut-off (hasn't happened). The units are said to have ultra-sonic water dispersion thru the exhaust hose...

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

very interesting.

One that I looked at on line had "self-evaporation" but I think it, or another one?, also had a place for a tube at the bottom and a garden hose about a foot up.

Another one I looked at came with RCA, Magnavox, Sylvania, and Keystone brand names on it.

As to the basement rust, Pat, we've both had floods of various sorts inthe basement and it didn't lead to rust, but if worst comes to worst, she can close her basement window.

Reply to
micky

I think I read here that the miracle coolers work. Not by ice. They plug into the cigarette lighter and use a thermocouple. The same thing that will make electricity when it gets hot, will make cold when one runs electricity through it. Or something like that.

They make great picnic coolers, and I think the motels I stayed in 2 summers ago all had them. Those fridges made no noise at all, but still kept food cold and ice icey in the ice compartment. (They might have made ice, but I didn't try.)

Reply to
micky

I think he meant condensation will form in the basement area , not the area being cooled . I can see that happening , just as when I open my shop that's cooled all night and it's 90%/90? outside I get condensation on my machine tools . I keep the door closed until it's as warm inside as out . Or turn on the window unit and keep the door closed .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

No, I don't know of anyone marketing a room cooler that plugs into your car. This is an example of the crap I'm talking about:

In the winter, similar shysters sell miracle electric heaters, with space age technology from China.

Reply to
trader_4

That sounds very good. What brand, model do you have?

It is the same model, not another one, but they might have changed the design. A new one is advertised as having "The no-bucket design" but otoh that might just mean there's no bucket but a hose. Clever these ad copywriters.

Reply to
micky

That 'swamp cooler' may have some effect in dry areas of the country, but in humid areas all it will do is make things worse.

The device that may plug into a car lighter socket is based on the Peltier effect. Sort of a solid state heat pump. A special diode like device that one side gets cool and the other side gets hot. I have seen coolers made from them and where I worked we had a piece of test equipment that used one so we could calibrate some instrumentation. I don't know how practical it would be to make one room size, but doubt it could be done without large ammounts of money spent. Not sure how efficent it may be either.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

BenDarrenBach

That's my understanding.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Peletaire junction, probably spelled wrong.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ralph answered that and he spelled it correctly...so he gets 100 points!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

If you're talking about the kind that sits on the floor and has a 4-6 inch hose that you run out the window.... I've got one and would never get another like it.

It cools just fine, but the condensate drain is 3-inches from the floor and has to drain into a pan or through a tube you have to run along the floor to outside. It's a royal pain to use. Don't even get started with one of those.

Some of these type models claim to 're-evaporate' the condensate, but I don't believe them.

You'll be mopping up water I guaranteed it with either one of these.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Thanks. a lot.

Did you see what one guy's con was

"Humidity evaporator is not a reason to purchase this product. I have to empty the humidity tank every 2-3 hours. The pipe for emptying the humidity tank is very close to the ground. With a carpet the pipe is actually on the carpet, so I have to lift..."

You're lucky yours works so well, or you live in the desert.

Reply to
micky

If this was addressed I missed it (sorry) - does she own the house? If so, would she consider doing a "through the wall" unit? My last (row) house had two of those in the two main bedrooms and I really liked them because I could still use the regular windows if I wanted. Someone had made an a/c sized hole in the wall under the window, put in a window unit and just framed in somehow around it. Of course, someone would have to make the hole in the wall, but at least it's a one time deal. When I had to get one replaced, I could just buy a regular window unit and the appliance store I bought it from installed it. They really only worked for one room each, although when I felt clever, I'd hang a tension curtain rod at the top of the stairs and hang a piece of plastic, which actually did a decent job of keeping the cooler air on the second floor when I ran both units.

Otherwise since the basement is cooler, is there a way to configure a whole house window fan and have it pull air from the basement? I lucked out in that house because I had a laundry chute that I left open as a big air duct. (I don't mean a regular window fan; they make/made window exhast fans that sounded like small airplanes and were pretty powerful).

I hope you can figure something out to help her. Nothing worse than being hot and sticky while you're trying to sleep.

Reply to
Lee B

I've setup 4 of these units (in the Mid-West) and none had a issue were they even stopped because they needed to be drained...so do as you wish!

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

micky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wonder what model he's got. Ours both had some sort of evaporator built into the condensate pan, and water never built up to the point where it needed to be manually emptied. Thus, like BenDarrenBach, I never actually had to empty the pan. But it would slosh over slightly if the unit was moved too suddenly.

We bought both our units at Costco, which tends to carry high-quality merchandise.

By the way, we have neither of them any more, since we now have central air.

Reply to
Tegger

I have to reread the manual for the one we saw in person, a Sylvania P-12PE (I"ve also seen pictures of it under RCA, another brand, and the one she saw in person was labeled Magnavox.) Anyhow, it seems to have to outputs, one over a foot high and one just above the floor. When it beeps 8 times, the AC turns off, the fan runs, and you have to empty the lower one. How that happens if you have a hose connected to the one a foot high, I don't know.

Before that, about the higher drain, it says "install the drain connector(5/8 universal female mender) with

3 4 hose"

I've never seen mender used like this before, and the machine we saw had a male connector anyhow. The English in the manual is good, but not perfect. Maybe this is just an error in English.

Well that's not good, especially since the room is carpeted.

Reply to
micky

I tried not to sound snotty.

OTOH, maybe that guy I quoted lives in the Amazon jungle.

Reply to
micky