One handle bathtub faucet

I'm in a hotel now and afaict, I can only get hot water in the bathtub, shower or bath, if the water is on full blast.

I can't tell what brand it is.

Do fixtures like this cost less money? Break less often?

It seems a hotel would want to save money on hot water (especially since they don't change the sheets or the towels unless you affirmatively indicate you want that)

Reply to
AC

Hi, They come with lifetime warranty. My house' 4 bathrooms all has them. for 16 years no problem.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

So youre saying they are willing to waste all that water just so there is no maintenance?

Do the other ones breaK that much?

Reply to
AC

The single handle faucets all have a anti scald valve, so that if another faucet drwas cold water you dont get burned.

Reply to
hallerb

Perhaps all new faucets, but many older ones do not have that feature.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You match it up with a quality low flow shower head. The single handle valves greatly limit the ability for say an elderly person or a very young person to scald themselves because you can't just turn on the hot water. Also at some point they were all required to have an internal anti-scald valve that interrupts the hot water flow if there is no cold water.

Reply to
George

For the maximum 4 showers per day or so per room, to avoid a scalding lawsuit, they consider it cheap insurance. Not a fan of low-flow showerheads, but even with good ones, you need high pressure to even make them tolerable. Most hotels have lousy showers, and people don't stay in the shower very long. Head too low on the wall is the usual sin, and if they have a 'massaging' shower head, it is usually so tea-kettled with crud that you can't change the settings. (Had one self destruct in my hands once- managed to snap it back together so I wouldn't have to risk getting charged for it.)

When I get a hotel with a good shower, I remember them for next time, and actually bother to fill out the little comment card thanking them.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

AC wrote the following:

Ask one of the housekeepers to show you how it works, or to determine if it is broken.

Reply to
willshak

Try tuning the water on slowly. Cold comes first and the wider you open the valve the warmer it should get.

These darn new fangled contraptions make it tough on a country boy.

Reply to
Colbyt

Hi, Waste water? What do you ,eam? It can adjust wate temp and flow volume. Ours are Delta Monitor series. Been long time I saw two faucets on a bath tub in hotels. Maybe at ancient two-star places.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

'Scald-proof' hotel ones don't work like that. To get anything resembling warm water, you have to crank the lever over. You can't have a thin stream of hot water. It opens the cold side first, then mixes in hot. I know exactly what he is talking about, and I hate them.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

That's true, but after turning it a little bit, the water flow reaches maxiumum and there is no way to lessen the flow, except by turning back to the start, where the water is ice-cold.

But they make it so hard.

Mike, who posted on a friend's computer as AC.

Reply to
mm

I'm not objecting to one-handle faucets, but to those with only full-blast water output.

Yes, that's it. I don't think I've seen one of these some some gym shower decades ago.

And there certainly was no lo-flow shower head. The water pressure wasn't enough to knock me over, but it was getting there. It was adjustable from course to fine, but going to fine made it a bunch of needles. Coarse was more tolerable.

There are good reasons to want low-flow but not totally cold, and even to want totally hot-flow, neither of which would come from this faucet. When I take a bath, it's not so much that the water gets colder, but I get used to it and it starts to feel colder and I need to add a small amount of hot water only to warm the bath. Now not many people take baths anymore, and hotels are probably happy to discourage baths including long baths, but they don't really discourage long showers this way. One can back away from the shower so it's not such an attack anymore. And even for a regular length shower, it used a lot of water, and a lot of hot water.

AEM's reason, that they want to avoid scalding someone, is a good one, but if we can send a man to the moon, surely we can adjust both the temp and the flow and limit the temp at the same time. In fact, doesn't the Delta Monitor Tony refers to do all that?

Mike, who used a friend's computer in the OP.

Reply to
mm