Old steam radiators problem -COLD!

My 3 flats' building is almost 100 years old. It has steam heating radiators. The thermostat is on the first floor. When I keep the certain temperature permanently on the first floor, it heats the second floor just a little bit and doesn't heat the 3rd floor at all. I think it happens because it takes very short periods of time to heat 1st floor. These short periods are too for the steam to come all the way up through the pipes. Could anybody give suitable advice how to keep the temperature equal on each floor? To change the whole system I cannot afford right now.

The thermostat I use was just recently replaced (RTH230B) and it has 4 different programs. I tried to set up in different ways. First I set it on 72 for the whole day. But it doesn't work: the radiators on the second and third floors are always cold. Now I set it on:

10:30 PM - 72 11:15 PM - 68 6:15 AM - 72 7:00 AM - 68 In this case at 10:30 PM and 6:15 AM the boiler goes on and radiators have enough time to get hot an all floors. But the parameters of the thermostat give me an ability to worm up the building only twice a day, which is not enough in the cold weather. Please, please, please let me know what to do! Marina
Reply to
the_path2001

The only system that I have seen like yours had a flow adjuster on each radiator. That allowed you to control how much heat the radiator put out with hot water flowing through it .

If yours has that you can set the first floor radiators to a lower setting , and the third floor to maximum heat .

Reply to
marks542004

Reply to
buffalobill