old air-conditioner: testing how good/bad it is. (2) tries 10,20 times to "on" compressor.

(1) Neighbor has offered me some air-conditioners (they ac/d the whole house last year). So, I want to compare them, while sitting in the basement, with what I already have.

Method 1: measure temperature of air leaving the a/c.

Problem: I guess, to match the conditions, you can't test one sitting in a basement against one in 2nd-floor window (temp 90 degrees outside).

So, have to actually test them in the same place -- measure old one, remove from window, insert "new" one in window, and test that. Easy enough!

Except for a BIG one -- 10,000 btu/hr. HUGELY heavy, HUGELY large. A "multiple-man carry" -- plus maybe "multiple- man" replace-in-window team.

NO WAY will it test it by replacement.

How about this:

During the day, it's presumably hotter (?) outside up at the 2nd floor level, facing back yard (grass, trees), than sitting on the pavement (shade? sun?).

Perhaps wait til night, no sun-effect, maybe things more equalized between up outside the window and down on driveway?

(2) about trying over and over again to turn on the compressor -- I'll instead make that a separate thread, since it's independent (I think) of this one.

Thanks for any ideas!

Oh: usage history. The neighbor's ac's: two smaller ones (6Kbtu/hr, 7.5Kbtu/hr) that in fact hardly ever got turned on. Good!

The big one -- in kitchen, used a lot.

Oh, MY ac's. Costco. Will soon post the brand and models.

(The BIG one -- requires someone on a LONG ladder to climb up and read the label. Needed anyway someday, to get rid of yearly bird-nest UNDER the a/c -- fill space with something, barbed-wire, chicken-fencing, suggestions? Drives me crazy, cheep, cheep, cheep, then loud flapping wings, etc. Year after year.)

THANKS FOR ANY SUGGESTIONS!

David

Reply to
David Combs

Measure the air going in and the air coming out. Differential is what cooling you are getting. Location is of little importance

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Also good idea to take them apart, and clean the coils. Dust and dirt will reduce the cooling, and increase the electric bill.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

OK, THANKS!

David