Ok, so can I replace my own water heater?

What did you do?

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Looks like a shorter one. I'm thinking the Sears Miser, this one:

It will fit. Not the most efficient one on the market but it's as good as what I have now. Especially considering I never drained the current one and it must have a fair amount of sediment in it by now.

I think I can get away with a 58" though. I have to check again. It means cutting 1" off the existing connection and that can be done.

Reply to
dgk

Trash.

You really are an asshole.

-- Oren

Oren

GO SHOVE A CORTELCO FONE UP YOUR ASS.

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

I have gas flex lines on the stove top, clothes dryer and water heater.

...and live to type about it....

-- Oren

Oren

wrote in news:e99be$471e7e16$9440c41e$ snipped-for-privacy@STARBAND.NET:

Three posts and none of them helpful. Keep it up monkey boi.

Reply to
Clark

That's exactly what it's for.

The flex stuff works, is certified, annointed, blessed, approved, and designed for gas connections. It works swell if you don't flex it too much.

Your plumber may be thinking of the hose attached to something that gets moved a lot, like a space heater. Continued flexing of the flex hose will, through metal fatigue, cause it to fail. But how often are you going to relocate a water heater?

You should connect a pipe to the T&P valve and at least have it pointing downward. If it ever blows, you don't want to spray scalding water on anybody standing nearby - like at the washer.

Reply to
HeyBub

You prove my point (BFG).

How do you replace your water heater?

-- Oren

Oren

I pay somebody who knows what the f*ck they are doing to do it as opposed to be a dumbass know it the f*ck all egotistical homeowner.

Fuck You and f*ck Cortelco.

Reply to
Paige D'Winter

This will not minimize the strong probability that you are still an asshole :-))

-- Oren

"I didn?t say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you."

Reply to
Oren

Or a reasonably thinking home-owner. Sure - there are a few idiots out there. That doesn't mean most do-it-your-self-ers are the same.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

You'll pay twice as much for the heat most places, and your electric bill might increase even more due to the increased usage.

How many power companies give a discount for more usage these days?

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Oren wrote in news:c81th35umd7f3fgv5jtgqabrvp05cl2nce@

4ax.com:

Fortunately he called his competitors so a licensed pro could do the job.

Reply to
Clark

Just plonk the guy ands let it go. He's not worth the trouble.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Hi, OK, accident can happen. If you ddi it yourself(not being licenced pro) when something goes wrong, insurance becomes invalid. If pro did the job, you can still claim for the loss or damage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Keyboards fixed: $12.00.

Reply to
HeyBub
[snip]

Thinking of the idiot who connected the gas line to the cold water inlet, thinking it would make the water hotter. That didn't work at first, then it became a 10,000% success (at least according to the fire department).

Reply to
Sam E

That's outrageous. A whole new keyboard is less than $12.

Paige had a point though. I guess I should have phrased it better. The question was meant to be along the lines of: Is replacing the water heater something that a reasonably competent person, but not a contractor, would be capable of doing?

You see, there are many sites on the internet that give what appear to be very good instructions for doing it, for instance:

It looks like this is a much easier job than, say, replacing a shower pan:
Notice that the instructions for the water heater to not suggest using a professional but the ones for a shower pan do.

Of course, blowing up the house would be a worse outcome than having a small pan leak.

I, naturally, need both a new water heater and a new pan.

Reply to
dgk

Show me documentation that this really happened. It is pretty hard to believe.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

I did my shower pan. With sufficient research, it's doable.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F