Ok, so can I replace my own water heater?

From what I read, you can use someone experienced to help you out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Can't you imagine? 50 pounds of water pressure agains 2 ounces of gas pressure? Everybody on the block with liquid-squirting pilot lights?

What a hoot!

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm a keyboard contractor. Designer colors only slightly more.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think that's how it is going to work out. Someone is supposed to help.

Reply to
dgk

I hear way too much stuff to keep track of all the details. That could be something from the Darwin Awards. I've recently read a lot of those.

Stupidity is often hard to believe, but it happens anyway.

Reply to
Sam E

Interesting thought, but it would probably stop at the regulator.

Reply to
M Q

Especially considering that the lines have differences sizes and threads. You'd have to spend a few hours down at the local home depot looking through the wall of couplers and adapters to find the two or three adapters you have to tie together to adapt the gas line to a water in/outlet.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

What we have here...Is the failure to, COMMUNICATE!!

Reply to
Bumpy

Replaced the heater with a new unit. As it's not economical to install a new gas control on an old unit. Plus, there was other issues that needed to be addressed.

Reply to
<kjpro

Never dealt with gas pressure on a main line, Eh?

Reply to
<kjpro

Really???

Water inlet/outlet 3/4 NPT Gas connection 1/2 NPT

One little 1/2 - 3/4 bushing is all one needs...

Reply to
<kjpro

There ya go...

Reply to
<kjpro

No, never have.

Tell us about your experiences.

Please limit it to the last ten times.

Reply to
HeyBub

Kind of slow checking this group... but yes, I actually used the same stuff. Not dead (long pause) yet. Although by "same stuff", not sure what everyone has on their clothes dryer, so let me clarify. It is about 5 or 6" in diameter. Thin walls that look like thick tin-foil (or aluminum paper, whatever they call it these days). It has some wire inside the paper walls that wind around in a spiral fasion. If you have a length of it that is about 12 inches compressed, it will probably stretch out to several feet, it is kind of like a slinky... That is the same stuff they sold me when I bought a new gas clothes dryer -- I think that was at Best Buy.

Reply to
eselk

Are you using the slinky stuff for the chimney (flue, exhaust gasses) of a water heater? Hope not. It&#39;s not designed for that high a temperature. Please check with your local building codes department, or fire department.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon