Odd slider size?

Last summer we bought a new house, built in 1990, which has a sliding patio door on the back of the house which we want to replace with a French door unit. The problem is that the existing door is 70" wide and looks like 79" tall.

Any thoughts on where I could find a door this size?

Thanks,

Reply to
R Thompson

Have one custom made? Tom

Reply to
tom

It isn't the size of the current door as much as it is the size of the rough opening that limits your choices. The rough opening is the area between the vertical studs on each side and the header above the door. If the home is brick the width and height of the brick opening also enters the equation.

Most of the major brands will custom make you a unit to fit within just about any rough opening. You pay through the nose for the service and wait a long time to get your product.

At your experience level, based on the question you asked, I would suggest that you get someone with some experience to look at this. With experience it might be a fairly simple exchange.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

My though is, do you need that size? If the house was build in 1990, it is very likely a standard sized opening. Builders try to avoid special sizes on doors because they cost so much to have made special.

My guess is that you are not measuring properly. Trim may be covering the actual size of the door. You need to remove the trim to see the rough opening and measure that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski