O.T. Who is still using 4G phones ?

I pay $33.08 for my 4G phone service and I use a Samsung S5 which is rather old.

I asked Verizon how much their cheapest 5G plan and was told it was around $70 a month.

My phone is not 5G capable, so I would need a new phone.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I appreciate the nice comment. Other than some abdominal pain, I am doing well.

Andy

Reply to
AK

I can't imagine paying $ 70. per month or even $ 33. for any sort of cell phone plan. I pay $ 100. per year and don't use it all. I turn off my data and seldom need it - because there are so many free wifi spots available. To each his own. John T.

Reply to
hubops

What do you pay for your landline? I don't have one, so my cellphone doesn't seem so expensive.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I have 2 lines on Verizon, costing about $42/line, but that's with unlimited voice/text/data. The plan includes 5G, and my phone, the Samsung Galaxy S20FE, also supports 5G, but there are no 5G towers in my area. I travel frequently for work, though, so I see the 5G icon light up when I'm in a 5G area.

Verizon is one of the carriers that heavily advertises free upgrades to the latest Samsung Galaxy, the S22. I don't know the details of that, though.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

They're getting better. When my father had a hernia repair he was in the VA for several days. Mine was outpatient. When I went into town to fill the prescription the next day, I decided to go to work since it's only a block from the pharmacy. Steri-Strips, no sutures. I walked slowly for a while but it wasn't a big deal.

Mornings I reminded of that and everything else I've broken but so it goes.

Reply to
rbowman

I don't think 4G is any better. I've had a Verizon hotspot for years and I've been happy with it but that's strictly data. The phone plan was a non-starter for my phone usage. I had a TracFone flip but when 3G was dying I went with Mint.

They have phone but I got an unlocked Nokia from Amazon and used their SIM. 4G/5G is the same but 5G here is very sparse.

Reply to
rbowman

Phones ain't phones anymore. Cars are the same -- read the reviews and they're all about the infotainment center.

Reply to
rbowman

On an auto forum I'm on there was a discussion of the manual. For comparison, a 66 Chevy manual was 55 pages. My car has three, one is

571 pages, the other is 174, the last one a bit less.

The 174 pages covers the infotainment and navigation, voice commands and on and on. The most complex part of that old Chevy was how to set the buttons for radio stations you want.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I pay $50 a month for my cell, with more data than I need - I got a data plan so I could use my cell as a hotspot when troubleshooting customers' internet issues. I carry a little USB wifi dongle in my wallet that I can plug into customer's computer if they don't have wifi built in and I can connect to MY wifi to make sure the problem is not in their computer - usually it's a Bell from HELL problem. Also works to download upfates/tools/programs for those few customers who still have NO INTERNET. I've found it works good when I need non-computer related information away from home too - like torque spec for a bolt, or a tap drill size when I'm fixing something "out in the sticks" - or to find some arcane information when talking with friends

- whether about cars, equipment, music, movies, weather, or whatever.

I used to cary arounf a stack of flopies, then a stack of CDs, then a dew memory sticks - to carry my "computer tools" - now they are all on the net - available through my phone/hotspot/wifi

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My landline is an IP Phone - I use OOMA - which requires an internet connection. Sometimes wonder why I keep a landline at all - but with OOMA I can take it with me anywhere in the world where I have an internet connection and can make "home-local" calls free from anywhere in the world - and I can check my answering machine anywhere I have a wifi connection even if I leave the OOMA system at home. If I pay for the enhanced service for a month or two away from home I can use my cell on wifi anywhere in the world to call home

Reply to
Clare Snyder

My landline is through my internet modem. It is $ 100 per month for both. The internet speed is 200 of the fast speed bits whatever they are. Speed test is usually 230 down and 11 up.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The electronics manual is often larger than the manual for the car part.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Aint that the truth.

AFAIC, the radio is the most important part, because all the cars run, and they all go fast enough for me.

But now I'm hooked on a radio with map.

My 2005 Toyota has that and I was able to add telephone** and bluetooth/3.5mm inputs.

**Even though no one ever calls me when I'm in the car. Only 2 people have my cell phone number.
Reply to
micky

A few years ago a guy teaching a class at a community college told me that young folks were trading in their cars to get the latest in the electronics.

Reply to
Frank

You mean pull the button out, tune the channel, and push the button in? You could get a great selection of stations (5 or 6?), all AM. Or you could tell how the ignition system was doing if you had Packard 440 plug wires.

Reply to
rbowman

I believe it. I read a review of the new Toyota 86 last week. They punched the engine out a little rather than going to a turbo but the entertainment system!

Reply to
rbowman

I had a car with an aftermarket AM/FM radio. Two buttons for AM, three for FM. Very sophisticated technology. I know those plug wires too

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

586 down and 22 up at the moment - unlimited
Reply to
Clare Snyder