nylon or polyproylene

Quick question.

Which is stronger,nylon or polypropylene rope?

Reply to
no one

If we have samples at home, we can easily test them against each other (splice loops in both, interlace loops, apply tension until one fails. If not at the splice, the broken cord is the weaker.)

If we have no samples, we might as well ask someone who sells rope.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

You left out way too much information for anyone to give an intelligent answer.

What diameter?

What type of construction?

Do you need tensile strength, shear strength? some elasticity? No elasticity?

What will it be used for?

Is UV exposure and issue?

That's for starters.

Reply to
salty

Nylon, given same size and construction. Polypropylene is (IMO) a lousy rope material...only nice thing about it is that it floats.

The strongest rope materials are nylon and Dacron (polyethylene). Use nylon if you want stretch (dock lines), Dacron if you don't (sheets).

Reply to
dadiOH

Actually strongest rope materials are Kevlar aramid and Spectra gel spun polyethylene. Nylon and Dacron have about the same tensile strength. Polypropylene is generally weaker. Choice would depend on end use.

Reply to
Frank

Nylon is stronger. If you compare the same type of rope such as twisted, you will find that nylon is always stronger. For example: for 1/2 inch, poly tensile strength is 3780 lbs, nylon 5750 lbs.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Under what conditions? Sun exposure, tight bends, exposure to sharp surfaces, lots of flexing vs none, what gauge stands and how are the strands braded?

Take some of each and try it out in your application.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe

The real problem with poly rope is the sun will tear it up pretty fast. In Florida I wouldn't expect it to last a year outside before it degraded to the point that it was 50% strength. YMMV in more moderate UV exposure

Reply to
gfretwell

Dude, hemp is organic and all natural. Stop smoking that weed and use it for rope.

RicodJour

I put a black Nylon rope on my 24' extension ladder some years ago. I keep it on top of the van and the rope is as good as new. I see so many ropes on extension ladders disintegrate when pulled and most of them are white polypropylene.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Which is stronger hemp or nylon rope?

Reply to
Phisherman

My hippie friend has smoked hemp but I'll have to ask him about Nylon.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Nylon

Reply to
dadiOH

Nylon is much stronger. There was a story about a tugboat that would pull too hard and break the rope and keep their end. When they tried this on a nylon rope it nearly slingshoted them back to the vessel that tossed them the rope.

Hemp also rots, either rope or smoker's brain.

Reply to
Frank