No mail box!

"mm" wrote

Someone who would do that would probably have sense enough to be driving Mommy or Daddy's car.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Shit anyone working for the City, State, or Federal Government is only putting in their time to collect their pension or retirement. Most could careless about your problems. Would you really expect anything more from a Government worker?

RV

Reply to
Evodawg

When you wake-up visit your local maximum security prison and see why you can sleep at night!

Oren

MUCH SILLINESS SNIPPED

A. Regarding the mail, go down to your local post office tomorrow AM firs thing and ask the local station manager;

B. Regarding the woman, immediately after the post office, call ypour homeowners / renters insurance company, and give them all the data on the sweetheart who hit the box.

C. Get the nane of the woman along with her license plate number. Report it to Florida's DMV as a hit and run property damage incodent and request that Florida DMV confirm her name, residence address and insurance carrier.

D. Once you confirmed her name and address, go to small claims court in your county and sue her.\\

E. Ignore the fool cop who told you here was nothing you could do to get a recovery for your loss. There's a lot the cop could do but declined to do, but he's a doughnut chomping asshole. Like most cops.

F. STOP WHINING!

-- Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged. If you really need to reply directly, try: jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom address.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

A few years ago on New Years Eve, about 10 p.m. at night, I was walking my dog out to the road. Saw car lights slowly moving down the road. Soon I could hear WHACKS every time the lights began to turn in a bit. Finally realized it was kids like you were talking about. The dog and I hid behind a tree as they came for my mailbox. It took a whack but then I shouted their license plate at the top of my lungs. Those stupid kids practically ditched the truck trying to take off. I called the cops and the next day, they took a report from everyone on the street who had damage. Turns out they were kids up from Illinois using daddy's work truck but being juveniles, cops couldn't identify them to us. However, we all could turn in receipts for a new mailbox. I found the most expensive one available, copied and turned in that receipt and returned the mailbox for a refund. Still have the old, beaten one up. That was sweet! Sue Minocqua, WI Yamaha '00 VStar 650 FOR SALE '04 TW200 (mud = fun) Kawasaki '95 Vulcan 1500 V#15937

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind, don't matter and those that matter, don't mind". ~Dr. Seuss

Reply to
Susan (CobbersMom)

Yeah, I forgot that teenagers do this for fun

I was never that stupid or malicious.

mm

That's not really fair. My friend runs a business, and her regular carrier does favors for her.

Maybe the company tips her at Xmas, but I'm sure it's not much, like

10 dollars. The carrier does it primarily to be nice.

I don't think I've wanted any favors from my mailman, but he does shut the gate every time he finds it shut. (which is most of the time lately. I don't like the spring the wooden gate came with, and last fall I tried to make a smaller one, but it isn't ready yet.)

mm

Somehing like this?

That one got put up by the owner of the house next foor to the one we lived in a while ago.

But, I've heard more than once that some juristictions have laws against installing mailbox posts which aren't easy breakaways. And violating them could make a person liable for injuries to vehicle occupants. Go figger....

Jeff

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sure, make a $20 claim and get your rates jacked or two $20 claims and get cancelled.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You apparently have a reading comprehension problem.

I write precisely, and use words for what they actually denote.

You reading alternative meaning into what I write is really stooopid on your part.

Nowhere did I say to the OP "...make a claim..."

I did say turn the data over to the OP's insurance company.

And thats all.

Please be sure your brain is engaged before putting your keyboard in motion.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

On Sun 22 Jan 2006 10:18:02p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jim McLaughlin?

Touchy!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I'd rather have a FEMAIL box than a mail box !!!!

Reply to
anoldfart2

Yeah, and theres probably at least a $100 deductible, so you wont he anything from the insurance co.

Personally, I'd file a report with the police, then send that woman the bill and scare her by saying you are going to take her to small claims court. She'll probably pay. Heck, a mailbox is $10 at Walmart. Plus your post whatever that is made of. Maybe a bag of cement, a few bolts and some new stick on numbers. If the total is $50, thats stretching it, unless you got a gold plated box.

Where I used to live, there were some assholes that used to drive around and smash mailboxes with a baseball bat. At least once a year we had to replace them. It took 3 years, but someone finally caught the punks, and they were in BIG trouble. Of course no one ever got reimbursed, but the cops got a nice amount from the fine from what I heard. Actually damaging a mailbox (on purpose) is a federal offense, but the cops apparently did not want to go that far with it, The kids got fines and lost their drivers licenses is what I heard.

Reply to
anoldfart2

You don't have to "make a claim", just report damage to have a check mark as a potential problem policy holder. Homeowners are dropped for many seemingly silly reasons. What is to be gained by reporting it? Insurance companies do not have police power.

IMO, reporting trivial damage is stooopid on anyone's part.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Take her to small claims court.

Reply to
Larry Bud

What purpose would that serve? They are not going to do anything...they might raise my premium for being an increased risk. HO insurance policies are being dropped left and right nowadays for south Florida after years of hurrican damage. I am not sure I want another "red flag"...

I can do that.

If I can get her address. I have her car model and license plate number, I don't have the exact address. The apartment complex has many units, and I can't follow her to her exact unit and I was hoping the cop can trace that for me using the license plate but he did not do that... I will try to call DMV and just give them license number and car make/model, but I have a feeling DMV will not give me an address...

By the way, it was NOT a juvenile prank beating up a mail box. This was an accident that the car hit the mail box. The mail box is a locking heavy duty 710 janzer mail box:

and it was mounted on a 4" diameter galvanized steel post penetrated

24" into the ground with a concrete anchor block 24"x24" and 12" deep. The entire post with concrete was knocked out and completely trashed. Her car's right front bumper was badly damaged with broken head lights.
Reply to
MiamiCuse

Expect the PO not to deliver. You can explain the situation to the post office and they will hold your mail. You could setup a mailbox on a crate or something like that, but be sure to position it per PO regulations.

I've heard of a reckless driver who got injured and damaged his car because he drove into a sturdy mailbox post. He sued and won. I was thinking about putting large rocks around my mailbox, but decided against that.

Reply to
Phisherman

Doesn't even need to be reckless. My friend lives in an area where kids were driving around and holding a bat/pole etc out to knock down mailboxes. My friend got sick and tired of finding his mailbox knocked down so he built a substantial structure. The kid was injured while trying to knock the mailbox down and the family sued my friend.

Reply to
George

With parents like that, it's clear why the kid would do something like that. The father should have whaled the tar out of his little miscreant instead of suing the mailbox owner...

Dan'l.

Reply to
Daniel Dravot

Give me a break! Like I said sitting around on their fat asses biding their time and waiting for retirement and collecting a healthy ridiculous pension. Like they really care if I'm sleeping well at night. This does not hold true for the men and women in the military, they truly are working hard unlike a bunch of fat lazy corrupt prison guards on the state and federal payroll.

Reply to
Evo