No compression !

I have a 27hp Kohler with no compression Where do I start ?

Reply to
Mic

rings?

Reply to
philo

Check the head gasket and valves (seating) 1st.

Reply to
bob_villain

Low or none whatsoever? I don't know anything about Kohlers but is something in the valve train broken so the valves aren't seating?

Reply to
rbowman

Most likely cause is a valve stuck open from sitting. If it is a flathead pop the head off and squirt penetrant around the guide of the stuck open valve and tap the valve gently down (piston at BDC)

If OHV remove muffler and carb - soak valve stems with penetant remove rocker cover and gently tap on the valve stem to free it up so the spring can pull it closed. If you can't get it closed that way the head will have to come off and the valves worked from there.

Then when you get the valveclosing and the engine running, run a bit of top lube, like MMO in the gas. Some mmo in the oil won't hurt either. Get it warmed up and change the oil.

Reply to
clare

Not at all uncommon for a valve to stick open on an engine that has been poorly stored or stored a long time - or even on an older engine with carbon buildup on the valves/stems - regardless how it is stored.

One "too" that helps free up stuck valves is a product called "avblend" that attacks carbon and lead buildup on the valve stem/guide. It is used by many AMEs on aircraft engines with "morning sickness' (running rough when first started cold due to a slow/sticky valve) Available from places like Aircraft Spruce.

Works a bit better and faster than MMO (Marvel Mystery Oil) but costs a lot more too.

Reply to
clare

Given the lack of fix-it savvy your post reflects, you should start with the Yellow Pages or a local Google search on "Small Engine Repair Shops".

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Go to the hardware store and buy a box of compression!

(Yea, I know I just replied to something that was posted a decade ago, or something like that)....

Reply to
Paintedcow