NM wiring question

I have come across a NM type wire in my kitchen project I am not familiar with. It is a heavy (1/2") cable that is feeding the fridge and one counter outlet. The issue is the thickness of this wire...which I have to reroute in the ceiling.

The wire is about twice as thick as current 12-3 NM cable...the printing on the wire says : Type NM Phelps Dodge PBX 12-3 - W - G 600 volt

Is this just the way they made 12-3 wire in the 70"s...or is this some type of "special" wire ? Can I extend this within a properly grounded electrical box with the current type of 12-3 NM wire ?

Thanks, TR

Reply to
tr

Yes, and even into the mid-80s, three-conductor cables typically included three "ropes" of twisted paper or polyester fiber spiraled with the conductors. It gave the cables a fairly smooth surface, instead of the rope-like surface that's typical now. 14-3 cable used to be about the same outside diameter that 12-3 is now, and 12-3 was pretty darn fat.

Probably not.

I don't see any reason why not. What you describe is pretty well normal for the older 12-3 cables.

Reply to
Doug Miller

That's just the way they made it back then. compare the individual conductors insulation to the new stuff. It's three times as thick.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT