NiMH batteries any good in LED fixtures?

I saw reasonably good deals on LED light fixtures like motion sensing ones on Amazon. Since these need AA or AAA batteries, I was wondering whether anyone has experience with these gadgets. Can they indeed use NiMH rechargeables with reasonable effectiveness?

Reply to
Han

Regular NiMh self discharge in about 4-6 months, If you are going to buy new NiMh Sanyo Eneloop hold their charge

Reply to
ransley

ransley wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k41g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

I guess I have to just try. I was thinking of lights on the satirs into the basement and around the washing machine. But the current arrangments work, so there is no hurry.

Reply to
Han

Old style NiMH batteries are horrible batteries to be used in standby applications. Their self discharge rate is so great, they will never be charged when you need them.

However, newer NiMH cells using hybrid technology are every bit as good as regular non-rechargable alkaline cells. Eneloop by Sanyo is one such. Rayovac makes one called, appropriately enough, Rayovac Hybrid. There are others. They will work quite well.

Reply to
dicko

Hybrids work, my old nimh would give me about 5 shots with my camera after sitting a month, the Eneloops are about fully charged when I dont use the camera now for months.

Reply to
ransley

I put some of those LED lights in the camper and my wife loved them but changing battereies was a bit of a pain. It seemed we were replacing the batteries everytime we took a trip so I wired them in to the 12V system. You cannot just hook them to the 12V system. The lights I used used three batteries so I use a regulator to take 12V down to 4.5. I have LED under counter lighting in my home also and the plan is to put a battery backup on these too.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I have LED under counter lighting in my home also and the

what did you use for the under counter LED lights...I've been looking for something acceptable and affordable?

Mark

Reply to
makolber

My wife picked them up at Lowes or Home Depot. She said they were almost giving them away. I think they were about $12 for a set of 4 fixtures and the power supply. I have since looked for more but havent seen them. They arent bad lights but they arent great either. They arent sufficent as task lighting withoutthe main lights on but they do brighten up the dark corners and shadowws that the main lights leave.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

No, you don't. NiMH do not hold a charge. You will contstantly be pulling the batteries out in the dark and recharging them.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I just bought some solar lights for outside - they have NiCad rechargeable batteries in them with LED bulbs. I have no idea how long they will last but they came fully charged.

Reply to
Dorothy

snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@c12g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

I bicycle to the train. Each evening going home (Sept thru April), I need the head and tail lights on my headband, so the cars don't get too close. Headlight uses 3 AAA's and lasts about 2 weeks or more per charge (ride is only 5 min). Tail light is flashing, 2 AAAs, and lasts months. I have been using the same sets for over 2 years.

So it may depend on the batteries.

I was asking about the lights one sticks on a wall or doorframe, but I think the best answer is trying. I just don't like buying boxes and boxes of disposable batteries, eve if they would last 3-5 times as long as rechargeables last on a single charge.

Reply to
Han

Dorothy wrote in news:e9d6a2f9-be08-4ec5-9e2e- snipped-for-privacy@u8g2000yqn.googlegroups.com:

We have a light like that. It is a faint "flame-like" light. It worked for a season, then the NiCads went. The thing is in a somewhat shady plae, and the solar cell weathered rapidly. It's just decorative now.

I hope you will have better luck!

Reply to
Han

thanks