new water heater drain valve

ok I went to sears and got a 40 gallon gas water heater. brought it home to do some new item maintance on it so it will last longer.

I'm trying to install a brass drain valve,instead of the plastic spigot thats on there now. when I attempt to take plastic spigot off it doesn't even budge. I'm turning it counter clockwise as directed on numberous websites but doesn't seem to want to move.

its built by a.o. smith in october of this year.

Reply to
flir67

You may have to break it and dig it out. Apply more pressure.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Use a cheater pipe.

Reply to
Duff

Call the maker, maybe its glued in.

Reply to
ransley

is it an actual plastic spigot, or is it one of those awful things that you have to turn one way, pull out, then turn the other way, then there's a stub of plastic nipple left behind? It's hard to describe, but I know it when I see it. If it looks like a plastic version of a typical outside spigot, please disregard.

I've had to use either a pipe wrench (if you have space) or a basin wrench (if you don't) to remove either type, eventually... even a 20 year old plastic spigot came out without breaking when I went to remove it (had nothing to lose; it was leaking anyway.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

I think it is glued in, it looks like there is some white residue more of the consistantency like caulk in the grooves of it.

Reply to
flir67

forgot to mention, if you are in a high sediment area, use a ball valve not a spigot (I'd recommend that anyway.) You can get a 3/4" pipe to garden hose adapter in the brass fittings section of your local hardware store. Buy a garden hose cap as well just in case someone kicks the valve. Also use a dielectric nipple to prevent corrosion; they are available in the water heater area.

nate

Reply to
N8N

I think it is glued in, it looks like there is some white residue more of the consistantency like caulk in the grooves of it.

Reply to
charlie

I bought a GE heater and wanted to do the same. Mine wouldn't budge either so I left it alone in fear of breaking the pathetic plastic valve.

Reply to
Phisherman