new water heater

I have an old water heater (providing hot water on demand, not filling a tank). This water heater is old and inefficient and needs replacing as it has started leaking and finding the replacement part is difficult.

Anyway I reckon it is time to get a new one, can anyone recommend a good water heater, wall mounted, providing hot water on demand for 1 bath, 3 sinks and a washing machine.

Thanks,

Joesph

Reply to
JosephB

do you mind the delay bettween opening valve and getting hot water? tankless must be sized to use and incoming water temperature.

in areas that get cold in winter incoiming water temperature dives, causing troubles.

you could get a regular tank unit for perhaps 400 bucks.

tankless will be at least several times that, and you must get one that has local service, new tankless are high tech and require knowledgable techs. just like high efficency furnaces new tankless are more complex and more likely to break

Reply to
hallerb

Hallerb, He said he has a tankless so quit trying to put them down, as I am happy with my Bosch tanlkess also, I have no more time delay than at another location where I have a tank, they turn on when water flows and my Bosch 117000 Btu was $460.00 I do fine with a Bosch 117000 btu for one shower, if you are satisfied with the output then match the btu. Going up will require gas line size increase. If its for one person 117000 btu is fine.

Reply to
ransley

Maintaining 40 or 50 gallons of hot water 24/7 in inefficient and wasteful unless it's solar. Demand water heaters are energy efficient and only heat what you use and draw no power when not in use.

Higher capacity electric demand water heaters take excessive power and you many not have enough coming in your house so it's not worth having to upgrade the house electric just for that. I have not had experience with gas demand hot water heaters but are probably a good bet. I have had oil fired demand water heaters and they work very well. You never run out of hot water and it only runs when you draw hot water. Of course gas and oil need to be vented.

Reply to
"Blattus Slafal

In my former apartment I had a Bosch that worked great once it got installed. The landlady and her boyfriend did the install themselves and it took them a very long time with lots of expletives, and once they got it running they did have to call a plumber twice to fix a couple things, but I chalk that up to the installation, not the heater. I only had it for about a year before I moved, but I absolutely loved it. I have heard some professional plumbers say that Bosch tankless are not good quality, but not sure if that is based on up to date info. Just be sure you get the right kind for your climate. In northern climates there are some models that cannot heat the water quickly enough in the winter.

good luck!

Reply to
G Francis